 FAQ / 1246
Re: Crossposting FAQ, why, when and how to crosspost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:57:54 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I'd say that entry misses most of the gist. The title doesn't even have
"Crosspost" in it,
Intentionally. The title is 'how do I post to multiple groups' instead of
'how do I crosspost' because it assumes that the reader doesn't know what
crossposting is.

and it spends zero time on the wrong way to do it or why
that way is wrong. Nor does it talk about why spamming many groups is
considered bad, nor does it talk about why spamming non market groups is bad
either.
The FAQ is not a moral compendium. You may have a very strong opinion about
this, but guess what: the FAQ isn't Questions and Opinions, it's Questions
and Answers.

You know, if I did some multiple cut-n-paste posting and subsequently
learned that it was bad, I'd feel bad. And stupid. Even if it was an newbie
honest mistake.

For LUGNET to be the friendliest place on the net, the friendliness has to
start in highly visible places.

I would not say this eviscerated entry hits all the high points. Or even
"most". It barely gets to "some"....
? The only thing I hear you say it's missing is what's bad and why it's bad.

We have a significant problem with crossposting. Pointing people at that
entry means reexplaining WHY it's a problem, there is no motivation there to
do it the right way.
The FAQ reader who wants to know how to post to multiple newsgroups properly
gets exactly that information. The LUGNET poster who copies and pastes will
receive numerous replies not to do that -- and with any luck they'll be
pointed at the FAQ to do it correctly the next time.

I'd love to see Admin implement a technical solution that identifies
multiple cut-n-paste postings from the same author, and shot back an error
message accordingly.

FUT as appropriate (to .faq or .admin.general but not both, thanks)