 FAQ / 1245
Re: Crossposting FAQ, why, when and how to crosspost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:59:20 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Cary Clark writes:
Great. Perhaps some or all of the FUT section of mine can be gutted and
replaced with references to the entries you cite?

I added an entry to the FAQ to deal with crossposting which is considerably
briefer than the original message, but attempts to hit all of the high points.

As with all FAQ entries, it allows the reader to get to the original thread
so that they can delve more deeply by following the '!' link.

Here's more on the FAQ philosophy:
http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/FAQ/

Larry, if you feel that my treatment is inadequate, then I'll do my best to
rectify the situation.

I'd say that entry misses most of the gist. The title doesn't even have
"Crosspost" in it, and it spends zero time on the wrong way to do it or why
that way is wrong. Nor does it talk about why spamming many groups is
considered bad, nor does it talk about why spamming non market groups is bad
either.

I would not say this eviscerated entry hits all the high points. Or even
"most". It barely gets to "some"....

We have a significant problem with crossposting. Pointing people at that
entry means reexplaining WHY it's a problem, there is no motivation there to
do it the right way.

I guess to a certain extent I disagree with this:

- start -

Why wasn’t all of my posted wisdom included in the FAQ?

From Cary Clark:

The FAQ entries attempt to distill the question and answer down to their
essense. If anything, many of the existing entries still contain too many
words and sometimes too much information. I’ll continue to edit them down as
time allows.

- end -

Usually more information, if presented in pyramid fashion, is better than
less. Organise it so you can quit reading early if you got your answer, but
don't destroy good content for brevity's sake.

That's my view anyway.