 Fabuland / 153
152  |  154
Subject:
My feelings on the Mickey Mouse sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 04:04:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I just received three of the sets (I didn't order 4164, it didn't look to have enough parts I am really interested in, though I'll
probably have to get one for completeness... I am waiting for 4178 Mickey's Fishing Adventure ($24.99) which was not yet available.

General overview:

As has been mentioned before, many Fabuland parts have been revived, though other junior pieces have snuck in. It looks to me like
the figures are in the style of Fabuland, but perhaps are a little updated. One thing I just noted, the figures have stud holes in
their posteriors, but the Fabuland chairs have studs where the legs fit, so Mickey and Minnie can't sit in the chairs too well. It's
nice that there are 3 versions of Mickey. Unfortunately, there is only one version of Minnie.

What I like about the sets so far:

I like the picket fence. I'm disappointed that it's most often yellow. 4166 Mickey's Car Garage has one in white. It looks like 4178
has at least one in white. 4165 Minnie's Birthday has one in yellow. 4167 Mickey's Mansion has 6 in yellow.

I like the trellis piece in red (note that this is a Fabuland piece, not a new Belville piece as some may have assumed).
Unfortunately, only 4165 and 4178 have it in red, and 4165 only has one. 4178 has at least 1 in red, and 2 in white.

Lampposts in two styles. 4166 has a light grey one with built in lamp which hangs out. 4167 has two of the plain posts in white.

I kind of like the Fabuland roof parts. 4165 has 2 w/yellow brick and red roof, 4167 has 6 with blue brick and green roof, 4165 has
2 with red brick and green roof. 4178 has at least two with red brick and green roof. I am disappointed that there are so many
colors of the structure parts, but I suppose as more sets come out in revived Fabuland (who knows what all they will come out with),
it will be good to have multiple colors.

It's nice to get more of the three-lobed pieces (back mostly in their original use as car radiators). Unfortunately, most of the
time, they have a car radiator printed on them. Available in blue and red with radiator printing. 4165 has one in white w/o printing
(there's a sticker for it).

Accessories from the sets:

4165: Yellow french horn (more like a tuba for minifigs - it's basically as tall as a minifig), blue accordion, red teapot, cake (is
this a Fabuland item originally or Scala?), blue peasant basket (though I've got plenty in blue). Stickers may be useful.

4166: Blue oilcan (huge!), light grey pipe wrench (huge!), black hatchet (huge - this is going to be a nice castle weapon...).

4167: White bird cage w/yellow bird, light grey camera (huge!), light grey pipe wrench, red teapot, blue basket, yellow saw (huge -
but will be good for loggers), butterscotch broom (like witch's broom - same color as Kadus), brown rake (huge), yellow watering can
(huge), blue 3x4 box.

Printed parts and stickers:

4165: Sticker sheet with some possibly useful stickers (berries, butterfly, ice-cream, pie/cake slice, money, cash register, fish,
music, boombox (for 1x4 brick), flower decoration, bow and ribbon for present), 2 white 2x2 bricks w/envelope printed on one side,
mailbox door (for 4x4x2 mailbox with curved top which matches the curve on all the curved top bricks), cake.

4166: blue three lobed piece w/radiator, red w/same, yellow 2x4x2 rounded top brick w/fuel gauge (or scale) printed on side, blue
2x4x2 rounded top brick w/tools printed on side.

4167: yellow 2x4x2 rounded top brick w/dog bone  and dish on side, green 2x8x4 rounded piece w/apples printed on side (3+ freestyle
tree top), red three-lobed piece w/radiator, mailbox cover).

What's not so nice:

Lots of junior bricks (2x2x3 and 2x4x3) and not many parts for your money.

Thoughts on 4178 from what I can see in the picture:

3! black or brown ships wheel's, white picket fence(s), red trellis, white 8x8 basebrick.

Frank