 Events / BrickFest / 3953
Re: BrickFest PDX 2007 - who's getting paid?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:08:55 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   According to Joe Meno’s post, last year’s BrickFest brought in $13000 in profit for himself, as well as $3000 for Christina Hitchcock for use of the BrickFest name.

Can the organizers of BrickFest PDX 2007 tell us who (if anyone) will be profiting from this year’s event?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s
Creations
Here we go again. Well to say that Joe brought in a profit of $13,000 is not exactly correct as his total expenses, if I remember, were not delineated in his accounting . His labor and personal expenses, mileage, trip costs, etc were not factored in.

So a more accurate statement would be that Joe earned $13,000. As far as BrickFest goes, I think all financial statements of the organizing committee are the property of the organizing committee and should remain private to them. We really have no business getting into their business.

And that of course goes for BrickWorld and any other event.

Tommy Armstrong

Tommy:

Here, here! I agree.

Everyone else:

Here’s where I boldly go where I probably shouldn’t.

Conventions cost money. There is money to pay for licensing fees, building usage, etc. If there is a profit, it (usually) does not go into the kitty until everyone gets paid for what they are to be paid for. Nobody runs a convention and expects it to lose money. (Even in the early days of Star Trek conventions--and I went to a number of those!--did they expect to lose money. Nor did they expect to get rich, I suspect. Break even may have been as much as they dared to hope for.) Certainly nobody is going to “out of pocket” thousands of dollars for a convention and not expect to at least get that back.

Volunteers: They are just that--volunteers. They graciously give of their time, and (usually) are not expecting recompense for that time. They should not be expected to cover any expenses in addition to their registration and food/lodging. (It’s a nice touch when they can get a lunch or dinner, or something special to say “thanks” for the time they put in.)

If the organizers of ANY event want to disclose what went where financially, that’s great. I like to look these things over, and see where they might make a difference that will actually make a difference. If not...safe bet says they are not getting rich off my back--or yours. (And if there was a pot of money to be made at these things...we’d all be having them, I suspect.)

In short--there has to be an element of trust somewhere, or business just does not happen. Those who organize a convention do it for the love of the hobby, not the profit. Why else go to all the trouble for the amount of heartburn you get, if not for the love of whatever it is you’re doing?

Now, if the the LEGO Company were to hold a convention...that’s different. There’d have to a be an accounting--they are, after all is said and done, a business. That’s a post for another time, though.

Play Well and Prosper!

Matthew