 Events / BrickFest / 3767 (-20)
  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) My reply is that it just goes to show that Joe negotiated a very good contract with the hotel. I cannot believe any other event will be able to negotiate better prices for a four star hotel room than $89/ night including free parking, and (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) The phrase "BrickFest is a Trademark of Brick Events LLC" started showing up on the website by (URL) July 19, 2002> at the latest. The (URL) Wayback Machine> isn't showing me the results for the beginning of 2002. The 2002 event was the first (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) Yes, the figure is correct. I was told it to me by the AV company directly. One thing you forget is a lot of cities, states, and facilities have unions or contractual agreements in place that would prevent us from using our own gear. In fact I (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Sure, but that's a slightly different conversation. (...) I'm a heartless bastard. Ask my kids. :) You're free to draw the above conclusion, although it's incorrect. The conversation has morphed into something different from what I thought I (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Well... yeah? Shouldn't we be talking about consequence? (...) Oh, I'm not referring to any actions specifically-- I'm following what appears to be your stance to its absolutist conclusions to test the validity of your claim. Your claim (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Never said it was an ideal scenario. I was just pointing out what is rather than what might be preferred. And the way it is right now is that the intellectual property for the name "BrickFest" is held by AMH Productions, who holds all the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) It started out as an event (URL) run by a local LUG>. I'm not sure when or how the transition happened. The fact that BF was a business has been out there for a while - if you were looking for it. But BF has never felt like a business, what (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Those are all decent answers. It sounds like there's a discrepancy of tense... my comments in this thread have all been aimed at the past tense, why should an attendee of an event want to know information about what they've just attended. (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) You bet they would. But BF has always been a privately held company, as far as I know, and never a non-profit. Being a non-profit requires specific paperwork (like what LEGOFan filed). So unless BF filed as non-profit, that's not an issue. (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) "Because I'll be more likely to help if I know", "Because I'll be more likely to donate if I know", "Because I'd be willing to pay more if I know", "Because I'm more likely to attend if I know". You're absoutely right-- It's a capitalist (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) You don't think there's anything wrong with acting like a nonprofit but operating as a private, for-profit enterprise? The IRS would like to have a stern talk with you. Not that BF has been pretending to be a nonprofit, but I don't think the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) As a member of IndyLUG, I would say that we are a very active club, having around 15 strong members and 27 total on our roster. We've averaged 7-9 public shows a year for the past three years. Along with the LafLRC, only 30-40 miles away ready (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) Todd, is that $500 correct?? If so, if there is money left over from this year, I HIGHLY recommend investigating purchasing at least one projector, as they have gotten pretty cheap these days, it might even be cheaper to buy several compared (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Why? Still not following the logic. As an attendee, I paid my money and received value, and my hobby is being furthered by positive public attention. As a volunteer, I get warm fuzzies and the adoration of my peers for participating in such a (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Actually, Marc in his post may have more uptodate information: (URL) the group of four has chaned. Todd (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Remember that the hotel got their money. Please do not misunderstand me, because I have no idea how much they got, but the hotel did not agree to allow an unspecified number of people to come walking in the facility without taking a cut of the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) Indy does have an active club (displaying at train & hobby shows year round) and I'm part of a LEGO Robotics club (LafLRC) that's about an hour drive, and would also offer volunteer help. Steve (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote: Snip (...) After lamblasting Anthony for his estimate of time, I would like to support him a little on his arguement here. I think it is a little disengenous for an organizer not to be upfront with where the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) Personally I think a LEGO retail store is not a necessity (look at BrickFest PDX, or the first couple NW BrickCons, of course now both Seattle and PDX do have stores). In fact, in the past, I used to curse it's existence as a serious (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Ah - admission was $7 for a single day, $10 for both days. Assuming that Joe meant 3000 paid admissions and not 3000 clicks of the turnstile, the take was somewhere between $21000 and $30000, probably on the lower end of that (I'm guessing (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact