 Events / BrickFest / 3760
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:07:54 GMT

In lugnet.events, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   Why? Still not following the logic. As an attendee, I paid my money and received value, and my hobby is being furthered by positive public attention. As a volunteer, I get warm fuzzies and the adoration of my peers for participating in such a cool event. What else is there? I’m not trying to be obtuse, but I still haven’t really seen any reason for financial disclosure more compelling than, “Because I want to know” or (worse) “Because I’m entitled to know.”

“Because I’ll be more likely to help if I know”, “Because I’ll be more likely to donate if I know”, “Because I’d be willing to pay more if I know”, “Because I’m more likely to attend if I know”.

Those are all decent answers. It sounds like there’s a discrepancy of tense... my comments in this thread have all been aimed at the past tense, why should an attendee of an event want to know information about what they’ve just attended. Yours are examples of why you’d attend or volunteer for one in the future.

   You’re absoutely right-- It’s a capitalist country, and you’re free to be secretive and treat your clients like moronic sheep if you *want* to. It’s just that we’re not all moronic sheep, so the more we know, the better we’ll be (psychologically and volunteer-wise).

To be clear, I’m not speaking for BrickFest at all... just as myself. So I’m hoping that you’re not taking my comments as official statements. I haven’t seen any posts or anything from official BrickFest sources that could be construed as treating people as moronic sheep, so I’m not sure what that’s referring to. I’m hoping you’re not finding my comments moronically sheepish.

   Essentially, I’m more willing to be generous and selfless if those around me are doing the same thing. I would’ve been totally fine if BrickFest never reimbursed me for the Game Show costs. BUT, if they hadn’t *AND* I found out that the profits just went into the organizer’s pockets, I’d be kind of miffed, and unlikely to do it again.

Exactly, as my earlier post that joked about Joe driving up in a Ferrari would make me a little jealous. Disproportionate rewards would certainly hurt the event’s credibility, and I haven’t seen that happen. (And I hope it never does.)

   And, you’re right, Kelly-- I’m not entitled to that information, and BrickFest has the right to withhold it.

That’s pretty much the only point I’ve been (laboriously) trying to make.

   And yes, BrickFest has the right to insult and belittle all its attendees. It has the right to treat us all like morons.

Uh... that’s not the point I’ve been trying to make. I think we should wait for BrickFest to belittle and insult its attendees before making judgments, though.

   BUT. It also has the right to be forthright, honest, open, and respectful. And we, as a community, will likely act accordingly.

I think it has been all that, so far, or I wouldn’t have been involved for the last few years. If and when the organizers of the event treat people like, well, like I’m treated at work... then it’s no longer fun, and the enthusiastic volunteers will disappear in droves.

Kelly