 Events / BrickFest / 3750
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:05:30 GMT

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:

Snip

Let’s look at it this way: A regular venue, say, a business expo, the attendees are there for personal gain. They pay their entry fee and do their business with profit in mind, whether it be selling their widget, making contacts or buying a widget for their widget machine. Everyone’s happy.

   --Anthony

After lamblasting Anthony for his estimate of time, I would like to support him a little on his arguement here. I think it is a little disengenous for an organizer not to be upfront with where the money will go if there is a profit left over.

I agree with others that have stipulated that they would attend even if a Joe or Christina made money from the event. For my sensibilities, I want to know that up front. I would rather not learn later that they had taken the money and run with it rather than paying the bills, as has happened before such as BricksWest. I would rather know that they intend to use the money for good, not evil.

I would also, as a volunteer, like to know that my efforts, my sweat equity was going into someone else’s pocket. If this was known before hand, cerrtainly some would agree to attend others would not. Some would agree to coordinate and others would not.

I know as an attendee I would have a different expectation on the event if I knew someone was being “paid” to organize. I let a lot of stuff slide when I know a well intentioned, but poorly organized individual fails to pull something off. I get irrate when someone that is being paid to do the work fails to follow through and do something.

So, I can see Anthony’s point.

Sincerely,

Todd