 Events / BrickFest / 3754
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:50:56 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
   After lamblasting Anthony for his estimate of time, I would like to support him a little on his arguement here. I think it is a little disengenous for an organizer not to be upfront with where the money will go if there is a profit left over.

Why? Still not following the logic. As an attendee, I paid my money and received value, and my hobby is being furthered by positive public attention. As a volunteer, I get warm fuzzies and the adoration of my peers for participating in such a cool event. What else is there? I’m not trying to be obtuse, but I still haven’t really seen any reason for financial disclosure more compelling than, “Because I want to know” or (worse) “Because I’m entitled to know.”

   I agree with others that have stipulated that they would attend even if a Joe or Christina made money from the event. For my sensibilities, I want to know that up front. I would rather not learn later that they had taken the money and run with it rather than paying the bills, as has happened before such as BricksWest. I would rather know that they intend to use the money for good, not evil.

Leaving aside the comparisons between petty thievery and a successful, ongoing event...

Intentions notwithstanding, as long as the event was perceived by those attending (volunteers and regular attendees and public) as a success, the perception of any leftover funds being used for good vs. evil is moot. This is based on a purely theoretical level, one that I think is being mixed with a more pragmatic concern, which is, Will the event continue? And will it be better next year for last year’s success?

If a given event is successful, more people will want to come to the next.
If the event had extra funds after all bills were paid, it’s in the best interest of the organizers to entice volunteers to help again in future events - by helping offset costs, providing special bonuses, etc.
If the volunteers are happy, they’ll let people know they’re happy, and will consider coming back to help again next year.
If the organizer is able to be reimbursed for some of the time/materials they spent in getting things going, they’ll be more likely to want to organize in the future.
If the audience perceives the event as being successful (including financially), it’s likely they’ll consider attending another event.

If the organizer wants it to be a successful event, they’re likely to be responsible with resources to ensure future successes. I know well the three people who’ve most recently organized BrickFests, and ain’t none of them stupid. If I were to ever wake up one day and be ambitious enough to be an event organizer, I would personally want whatever resources left over to go toward furthering the hobby... since that’s why I’m here. But I don’t think I’d publish a financial breakdown of expenditures, since I don’t think that’s really much of anybody’s business.

Incidentally, I find it amusing that this entire conversation is predicated on the assumption there are wads of cash burning holes in somebody’s pocket, waiting to be spent. We don’t know, and I don’t think anyone is obligated to provide that information. If they do, great... if not, so what?

Kelly