 Events / BrickFest / 3762
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:49:28 GMT

In lugnet.events, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   If the organizer wants it to be a successful event, they’re likely to be responsible with resources to ensure future successes.

Very true. But what if they don’t want to run BF anymore? What if they need money for hospital bills? What if they default on their mortgage or aren’t paying their child support or their taxes? Neither the bank nor the taxman is going to be swayed by “But, but... that money is for a LEGO convention!”

Then, if they have that money available, and it’s legally theirs, I don’t see why they wouldn’t use it. Legally, morally... it’s theirs. As a LEGO fan, I would sure like to see it put back to use for community events, but since it’s somebody else’s money, I really don’t have a say. And stuff happens.

You don’t see that as a weakness? That one bad apple or even an innocent personal problem could potentially wipe out a community event? LUGNET is a perfect example of this - everything depended on just two people, and problems have resulted from that fact.

Never said it was an ideal scenario. I was just pointing out what is rather than what might be preferred. And the way it is right now is that the intellectual property for the name “BrickFest” is held by AMH Productions, who holds all the rights and responsibilities of managing that brand. If you think BrickFest should be a non-profit corporation (rather than a Limited Liability Corporation), they’re the organization you need to convince. (I don’t know the details of AMH.)

If there were a choice between having an international LEGO fan convention owned by a company, or not having an international LEGO fan convention at all, I’d pick the former.

Kelly