 Duplo / 519
Re: LEGO stops DUPLO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 19:57:44 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.duplo, Rob Doucette writes:
OK, I scanned a few pages for the new Explore brochure which is include in
the packaging.  The train pics are on the last page:

As you can see, LEGO is not discontinueing (sp?) Duplo, they are rebranding
and expanding the line to include other toys/learning products.  It looks
like they are going after some of the Leap Frog and Vtech stuff.  We picked
up one of the musical toys (here is the larger player:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=172745) for my daughter.
The mushroom shaped blocks are actually electronic sound modules that either
contain effects or musical instruments.  There are expansion packs available
(got one of those too) that have musical cartridges.  In the pic noted
above, you can see the cartridge slot on the right side of the yellow
player.  The device we purchased has a lever that varies the tone when you
move it.  I am impressed by the construction and durability of the product.
All of the electrical connections are recessed and/or protected.

It looks like the website won't be updated for a few more weeks.  All of
this stuff is available at the Orlando LIC.

-Rob.

I am not seeing many Duplo bricks there - only one or two of the sets really
has more than what looks like 3 bricks. I hope they have more bricks than
they are showing.... Otherwise I am running out to the store and getting
some duplo tubs asap.

I saw one of the new Explore sets at Wal-Mart today. It was a yellow bucket and
could have easily still said Duplo. There doesn't seem to be too much
difference between Explore and Duplo, at least that was the case with this
bucket. Bricks and people are the same size in Explore as in Duplo :)

Julie

But the sets do look interesting, thanks for posting them!

Mark P
http://landofbricks.com