 Duplo / 512
Re: LEGO stops DUPLO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 01:15:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
In lugnet.general, Rob Doucette writes:
Just got back from Disney this weekend.  The LIC (which is undergoing
serious renovation, the entire outdoor are is cordoned off) has lots of
*NEW* Duplo train stuff including cars with silver (not chrome) wheels and
what I believe were sound effect bricks similar to the myBot stuff.

Sounds good!  I've been looking for info on these for several weeks now,
thanks for posting.  Are they still compatible with the existing Duplo trains?

I have some product inserts, I'll try to scan them and post to BrickLink.

Please do, would be much appreciated.

OK, I scanned a few pages for the new Explore brochure which is include in
the packaging.  The train pics are on the last page:

As you can see, LEGO is not discontinueing (sp?) Duplo, they are rebranding
and expanding the line to include other toys/learning products.  It looks
like they are going after some of the Leap Frog and Vtech stuff.  We picked
up one of the musical toys (here is the larger player:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=172745) for my daughter.
The mushroom shaped blocks are actually electronic sound modules that either
contain effects or musical instruments.  There are expansion packs available
(got one of those too) that have musical cartridges.  In the pic noted
above, you can see the cartridge slot on the right side of the yellow
player.  The device we purchased has a lever that varies the tone when you
move it.  I am impressed by the construction and durability of the product.
All of the electrical connections are recessed and/or protected.

It looks like the website won't be updated for a few more weeks.  All of
this stuff is available at the Orlando LIC.

-Rob.