 Dear LEGO / 5160
Re: An alternative open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:39:12 GMT

In lugnet.color, René Hoffmeister wrote:
Hi David,

In lugnet.color, David Koudys wrote:
that this petition was from 'all' AFOL's (a problem with translation so we're
told now, and i haven't read the German one to see if the inference is there as
well)

This sentence:

"We, the signatories of this letter, form the group of Adult Fans Of LEGO®
(AFOLs)."

was translated from these german words:

"Wir, die Unterzeichner dieses Briefes, sind überwiegend sogenannte AFOLs (Adult
Fans Of LEGO®),"

Translated word by word:

"We, the undersigned, for the most part are so-called AFOLs (Adult Fans Of
LEGO®)."

Leg Godt,

René

And THAT highlights why maybe this wasn't done quite correctly. Consider how
things might have went if instead of posting what was apparently final text and
asking for sigs, if it had went like this instead (everything posted to JUST
color and dear-lego):

1. Hey, we're thinking of a petition. We already got sigs from German fans, so
here's the text translated. How good of a translation is it? Are there things
you would want changed to get the wording right and proper? By the way here's
the original german text so you can compare. Please keep comment on this thread
to just wording, not the overall approach. We'll revise and repost once we have
the final text, asking for sigs. For right now, if you just want to agree,
DON'T!!! It's too early.

(bunch of discussion on wording)

(same time)

2. Hey, see (1), what do you think of the idea? This is the place to post your
thoughts on the approach rather than wording... We may not revise our petition
to reflect major retheming because we already have 150 sigs but we welcome
discussion here. DON'T SIGN here (or in 1) but wait... we'll have a thread for
you to sign or anti-sign... later. Not yet.

(bunch of discussion on whether a petition is going to do any good, why so many
of the germans think it will, etc)

(few days later)

3. OK thanks for the input on wording from (1), we took it on board, we made
changes in the wording to correct the first translation. We thought about the
pros and cons as discussed in (2) but we're going ahead anyway. Here's our final
draft. We talked to the LUGNET admins first and they agreed that they don't want
to see any discussion here, and are going to ask people to cancel and repost to
the right thread. If you still want to discuss, go see thread (2) But if you
want to sign, great! Here's the format (name age 2004 purch, 2005 purch). If you
want to "anti-sign" that's OK too and because we acknowledge that we don't speak
for the whole community, we will forward those sigs too. Use the same format
please.

(bunch of sigs and explicit non sigs)

Wouldn't that have worked out a lot better????

++Lar