 Color / 988
Re: surrender, you're surrounded!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:53:12 GMT

(snip)

Bottom line--it's a matter of opinion.  One opinion is okay with the color
change, the other is not.  This sounds like a debate that ranks up there with
politics and abortion.  The German AFOL community has been most vocal about
this, and frankly, it's beginning to really disturb me.  Stating points, then
backing them up goes far better than accusations, name calling, and unsupported
points.

Here we have a petition, Ben’s letter,

See below for an alternate version of the letter--that I think will get more
attention from TLG (check your Lego press releases--it's no longer TLC..)

an attempt to use the growing influence of AFOLs in order to improve our
hobby and to help reverse the worst decision LEGO has ever made while it is
still a possibility. A letter signed by a large number of the most skilled
builders around, many of them second to none, not even to the model designers
at Billund. (For the record: I just rate „fairly decent“...)

Oh, and this isn't opinion?  I think there are some very heady and extravagant
statements there.  Most skilled builders? Second to none? Hm..seems that modesty
isn't a strong point there... my opinion is that "growing influence" of
builders, if approaching TLG in a very negative manner, will not get a very
favorable response.  I would say that the company may very well ignore you if
you don't take a level-headed approach on the issue.  So far, I have not seen
much level-headed thinking on the more vocal individuals who oppose the color
change.

And then there is YOU.

Well, I for one, think that David has been backing up his points pretty well, as
opposed to many statements--especially the one about "worst decision ever made"
(anybody recall Galidor?) The only proof of this seems to come from the fact
that some of the AFOL community is whining about the fact that it doesn't match
their current collection. How does incompatibility with personal collection(s)
relate to a business decision by TLG?  PROVE to me how this works, and back it
up!

I stopped trying to talk sense into every kid or guy who feels entitled to
mouth his opinion on the color issue.

Is that person who is mouthing opinion an opinion FOR or AGAINST the color
issue?  I understand there are those who aren't happy with the color change, but
why let it destroy you?  There are MUCH worse things in the world than a Lego
color change--if you think the color change is the end of the world, then you
need to get out more.

What makes YOU feel entitled to chime in when the most dedicated AFOLs in the
world try to actually improve the situation (futile as it may be), beside
that it is so easy to do? Your opinion carries no weight at all. Of course,
you’re entitled to it - but that’s about it. You could as well declare: the
color of the sky is cleary and truely ORANGE (having your orange sunglasses
on) but what the heck and would everybody please just stop complaining?!

most dedicated AFOL's in the world?  What dictates that statement? Sure, the
German community are great builders, but I've seen just as good building coming
from everywhere else (Yamato, anyone?).  How are all your complaints *helping*
the issue?  Seems to me this complaining about the color issue has caused a
great division in the AFOL community.  One that is driving many people crazy
(myself included).

You don’t like reading anything about „color change“ in general?  Too bad for
you. This subject naturally concerns every serious model designer, this
subject pops up every time I consider spending money on sets and every time I
spend the money at Bricklink instead. And this subject is here to stay for
another while.

In fact you should rather support the SYSTEM-color movement, in your own best
interest. Really! Or is there a better way to get rid of the (most serious)
„complainers“ than getting the SYSTEM-colors back? ;)

Are you implying that system is better than mindstorms, etc?  I would beg to
differ.  One of the core values of Lego is CREATIVITY... You can be just as
creative with mindstorms as system bricks.  Speaking of which, can you be
creative with the new colors?  I don't see why not.  Before you go preaching
compatibility, make note that nowhere have I ever seen an official Lego
statement regarding part compatibility relating to color compatibility.  Do the
parts fit together? yes?  Then they are compatible.

I'm just not happy with the view that a few of the German AFOL's out there are
making it sound like they are better than everybody else, and are starting to
get this "holier than thou" attitude.  My personal view of the German AFOL
community was one that they were great builders, pretty nice, and pretty fun.
Now, my opinion is starting to falter to one of spiteful, opinionated
complainers.  I'm taking careful note NOT to place all of the German AFOL
community in this regard--but it's just the few people there that are starting
to ruin it for everybody else.

I've posted this letter before on another thread--so far, 100% acceptance...(7
out of 7--perhaps I should have put this on the non-discussion thread).  Perhaps
a letter like this may be more acceptable to TLG...?

Dear Mr. Knudstorp,

We are Adult Fans Of LEGO® (AFOLs), and we have had an unparallelled
opportunity to connect with LEGO® on several occassions, most notably
via Lego Community Development, even being invited to provide comment and
feedback on LEGO® models, product lines, and even participate in the 2003 LEGO®
road shows in North America, to great success.

Through our enthusiasm for LEGO®, we display the staggering creative
potential of the brick to children across the globe. One could argue that we are
some of the biggest unpaid fans and promoters of the LEGO® product.  We do
understand that from time to time, changes in the product are necessary,
due to market and other business factors that the general public may not be
aware of.

However, we are calling a decision into question that was recently made by the
LEGO® Company which concerns us as AFOLs.   Specifically, the changes of the colors
Brown, Light Gray, and Dark Gray into a "new brown", Light Stone Gray, and Dark
Stone Gray, respectively.

While the addition of the new colors is generally seen as welcome, the key
factor in question is the new colors replacing the old colors that have been in
production for approximately 20-25+ years.  The decision by LEGO® has caused
much controversy over the past year among the general AFOL community, as
evidenced on the LEGO® fan website www.lugnet.com .

A considerable portion of the general AFOL Community is highly opposed to the
color change, citing the new color shades as not color-compatible with their
existing LEGO® collections.  This has caused much frustration and disappointment
when making LEGO® creations, leading to a negative view of LEGO®.  The other
portion of the AFOL Community is somewhat indifferent and acceptable to the
change, citing that LEGO® must survive as a company, and this color change must
have been done for some valid reason.

We request the original gray and brown colors be reinstated to the LEGO®
color pallette, in part or in whole, or to specific product lines.  In light of
the recent "Lego Life" article regarding the color pallete compression to 63
colors, it would be hard to justify 2 shades of brown and 4 shades of gray.
If one color mix was to stand, our request is to reinstate the original color
formulations, should the change be a profitable and cost-effective method for
LEGO.  A brief explanation of the reasons for the color change, and/or the cost
prohibitiveness of reinstating the old colors would go a long way in reinstating
the trust of much of the AFOL community.

Never before has something like this divided the AFOL community and negatively
affected the mood of so many adult builders.  Please address this issue.
We have helped promote your company for several years now, please let us have
faith in the LEGO company again.