 Dear LEGO / 3738
RE: LEGO-Galidor Perspective In L.A. Times Article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:34:06 GMT

From: Allan Bedford
Even if they are Technic pins, there is then the same problem
as with the
Bionicles.  Some young kids receiving or buying these sets do
not have or
have access to Technic connectors.  This is the case with a
co-worker of
mine.  Her kid likes Bionicles but makes no connection
between them and his
other LEGO bricks, since he cannot connect them in any way.

That's a good example of what's continually happening right now with the
"new" (un)LEGO sets.

It's becoming more and more incompatible with the LEGO System. I know that
LEGO still has the common sense to design the new parts with some kind of
LEGO "measures" but a part that connects to an older one doesn't make it
"compatible" in the sense of usefullness to a LEGO System/Technic based
"world".

I think LEGO lost the vision of giving children (and adults) the tools&parts
to build an ever *growing* LEGO System WORLD, by adding new sets to older
ones, and even substituting older sets with better designed sets but
respecting and expanding the LEGO System Theme. The kid/adult then could use
the parts from older set to build their own designs,  if it likes to keep
some sets with its original design, that is.

That's what I thought LEGO was providing me, when I was a kid: Tools & Parts
so I could build my toy world just as I do now when I build computer
applications with the same modular concepts I devised as a kid with LEGO.

That's what I think LEGO should be providing to my children: Tools & Parts
to *BUILD* & Play ...not just Play almost right out of the box.

That's what I want to believe as beeing the right vision (and only) purpose
of LEGO: Give the Tools & Parts a child needs to develop its building and
creative capabilities.

A kid's starting to have no usable LEGO to use with LEGO Studios movie
theme.

What next ? Kill Technic & MINDSTORMS "System" also ? You better not !
LEGO already is starting to betray the Technic/Mindstorms system of play, by
providing all-in-one (controller+battery)+motor parts like the MicroScout
and the new MANAS IR controlled-Motors. Ok, at least someone got the common
sense of providing some way of controlling those units with a RCX (they
forgot the CyberMaster, though).

LEGO Clothes ? LEGO Watches ? LEGO Games Software ? LEGO
Barbie-dolls-incursion ? LEGO GI-Jack ? LEGO collect-that-mask-thing ? Ok,
no problem by me, as long as those are *EXTRA* business visions not
colliding with the main LEGO System BRICKS (and mini-figs :) !

I'll make some "noise" at http://www.lego.com/myopinions/default.asp
and that's something that I should've done a long time ago.
(Thxs Allan, for the tip ! :)

mc.