 Dear LEGO / 3723
Re: LEGO-Galidor Perspective In L.A. Times Article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:11:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Ben Roller" <lugnews@rollerfamily.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Gerber writes:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-000010593feb11.story

Some relevant quotes:

"We're redefining Lego," said Andrew Black, president of the company's
Americas division. "It's not just about bricks. It's about learning and
different ways of using your mind."

Dear Lego,

Please fire this guy and hire someone who realizes that these kinds of
products (Bionicle, Racers, Galidor, even the Throwbots) are the wrong
direction for your company.  You make great contruction toys and the best
bricks around but frankly you do a terrible job at action figures.

Hey Ben -
I could not agree more with the things you say here.  This is sad.

I guess this is what you can expect from a former Nike executive.  Next up, LEGO
Sweatshops.

This product is an insult to kids who want to play with LEGO bricks, and an
insult to the parents who go looking for the bricks and can't find them in
stores - a la Mike Petrucelli.

I've seen countless store shelves FULL of these things at 50% or more
markdown because the stores just can't sell them.  We don't want them and
the other companies make much better action figures anyway.  You make the
best contruction toys and especially bricks, but I'm seeing less and less
shelf space at my stores dedicated to these excellent products.

Whenever I go to the LEGO store downtown Chicago, the Jack Stone is at the front
and stocked FULL.  NEVER do I see JS sets off of the shelves.  But, they're
proudly displaying it like its the coolest thing going.  Where do they put the
Metroliner and the Statue of Liberty and the retail train assortment?  At the
back.

Your company has always been about learning and creative play.  This new
direction that you've taken seems to me to be less about inspiring
creativity and more about cashing in on the creativity of others.

Also, the bricks grow with the kid, ALL through their development.  From
kindergarten age when kids start playing with System bricks (after having duplo
before) all the way through the High School science project.  The SAME bricks.

Galidor might have an ohh...2-3 year window the kids are interested in them for?
And maybe a 6 month window before the kids break the darn things.  Galidor is
NOT a timeless toy, it is a FAD toy.  LEGO was at one point in time about
timeless toys.  It makes me very sad and angry they aren't anymore.

Well, the bricks are still being sold, I know, but through SHOP AT HOME.  When
will someone get the idea that the bricks go on the store shelves too?  Can
racers, can Galidork (hey, new word), can Jack Stoned, and make room for BRICKS
like they had when I grew up -- which wasn't so long ago.

I cannot express with forceful enough words my vehement anger at the direction
LEGO is taking here with Galidork.  Not even every profane word in the English
language would do my disgust justice.

BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS BRICKS!!!!

Its bad enough I don't even drool over the catalog each year like I used to.
And its not cause LEGO is less cool to me - its cooler to me now than it ever
was when I was a kid.  LEGO, make a retail catalog I can drool over, and I'll
gain confidence in your direction again.

I won't ever abandon ship and go over to MegaBloks though.  I think of them and
other clones as a shameless ripoff.  But I do point out, they're doing a much
better job than you are at making brick-based products.  See, they're actually
reading what we say here and implementing it in their retail products.

Direct - keep up the good work!  I love the products you're coming out with.  I
wish the rest of the company thought like you do.  Brad should be in charge of
retail, IMNSHO.

-Tim