 Dear LEGO / 3058
  No more Blue Tub...

I asked LEGO netherlands why the blue tub (3033) isn't available overhere. In their reply they said set no. 3033 has been discontinued..... This might explain the recent TRU sale.... Duq (23 years ago, 10-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Discontinued? These tubs have only just made it to Australia within the last couple of months. Maybe they are using us as a dumping ground for old Lego. This may not be such a bad thing if they send us some good stuff! Martin (23 years ago, 10-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) This has been my fear ever since bulk ordering came about. I will hold out hope that maybe the person you communicated with was mistaken but if this is true then my LEGO budget has been shattered and won't be making nearly as many S@H (...) (23 years ago, 10-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Stock up now... that's what I've been doing. They're still widely available. In a year or so people will probably pay good money for the unopened 3033 tubs, though I doubt any of us can hold out long enough to wait for that. Is there any rumor (...) (23 years ago, 10-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

As I recall, this same rumor went around about 2 years ago. I bought the tubs I needed, alas to discover that they had not really been discontinued! Perhaps it is true this time, perhaps not. Build On! John Matthews William R. Ward (...) (23 years ago, 10-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  (canceled)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

4229 was packaged in the vlue pack that was available at Kmart around christmas time. It contains 812 pieces and is not as good of a mix as the tubs are if you ask me. And in true Lego fashion, i'm sure that they will price it at the same level as (...) (23 years ago, 11-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Amy Hughes (<GBnAyL.8n4@lugnet.com>) wrote at 20:44:45 (...) I'm confused. I was under the impression that this box had been discontinued. It's a Basic set, and AFAICT these have been replaced by the Creator sets. (23 years ago, 11-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) -John (...) (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Yup :) (URL) Dan Boger dan@peeron.com (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

You da man, Dan;-) Thanks for the info and the inventory! -John (...) (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) You might be right. I was guessing based on S@H listing this set as being available in the US but showing no availability date or price. I thought that meant it was coming, not that it had gone. Amy (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Warning - long, involved (and possibly contentious) reply follows But first, a little background. I am from England, and have spent a fair amount of time trying to hunt down the legendary 3033 Bulk Tub here. Here goes . . . All this talk about (...) (23 years ago, 14-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) [snip huge email] I fully expect the Blue Tab to be no more in Canada, just based on observation. Last year they were everywhere in quantity, at Zellers, Wal-Mart, and TRU. But they were at full price. Then Zellers and Wal-Mart both cleared (...) (23 years ago, 14-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Both Zeller's and TRU have stocked the tubs here in Edmonton, always at full price. Except for a bit right after X-mas where everyone out here seemed low in everything, I've never not been able to find a blue tub at full price, if I wanted it. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) In Toronto, my local Toys 'R' Us has several! I've also seen them else where. But the prices are always high, around $19.99 - $24.99. If i found the big blue tub anywhere under $15 i'd buy about 10 of them! -R (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) I got 8 at $12/each plus 15% HST. I'd have bought more if there had been more to get. (Wally World here clearanced them...they _had_ a wackload, but there were only the 8 between 2 stores when I got to them...otherwise, I would have bought (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Yes, it was rather big! Sorry! (...) Look on the bright side - perhaps the local market is saturated, and they can't sell any more in _your_ part of Canada. I mean, if 3 retailers local to you were ALL selling it, maybe there is a limit to how (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) I hope that's just the case, Robert. Windsor does get nailed by people coming over from the USA too, so the market drains quickly. But I should probably clarify my observations for the Canucks, and why it leads me to believe the Blue Tub is (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) snippage... (...) In Australia this year, the 1200 piece tub has appeared for the first time. Before that the biggest basic brick lot has been the 4229. The Blue Tub sells for AU$69 (US$35) and is only available at Kmart. The BTs are labelled (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

Kyle D. Jackson wrote in message ... (...) Here in Vancouver BC, the blue tubs are still turning up on the shelves regularly. I've bought 30 in the last couple of months and always left a few on the shelf. However, the retailer catalog and price (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

KDJ wrote (and I snipped) "Note that personally I'm too lazy to call any distributors to find out the "real story" :] < snip > "I drove back here to Windsor, Ontario. Over the holidays and on the way I stopped at some of the Zellers, Wal-Marts, (...) (23 years ago, 16-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) Hehe, well, I never said I was above hypocrosy ;] The former case really is laziness (or that I just don't care enough to call). The latter case was just a way to break up a 2-day-long trip. And yes, it was crazy :] (...) Aw c'mon, you (...) (23 years ago, 22-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub...

(...) It's not too late to repent - see below . . . (...) Wow! Thanks! So, shall I send the $9 to you - or will you sent the tub, THEN I send the money . . . ;-) Robert "I never knew Americans could be so thoughtful" Spinks PS If you wish, you could (...) (23 years ago, 23-Apr-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

(...) I recently wrote to the Lego consumer services regarding the availability of Set 3033 (1200 bulk brick tubs) in the UK - wanted to find out whther 3033 would arriv in the UK, or not. I recieved a reply from the Global Consumer Service (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

(...) Just one min this set 3033 was and still is available in Australia, you know the country which is not part of the USA but that you can still get it in. This set is only in k-mart stores? don't know why ? So the bloke who wrote back to Eric (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

(...) Unfortunately it is looking more and more like my prophesy is going to come true. It really is to bad because I fear that those that don't know about S@H will see no source for getting plain old bricks and might stop buying as much LEGO. (...) (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

(...) Translation: "We like to promote the value of Mega Bloks when ever we can." (Quality doesn't matter in todays market to the average consumer, quantity is where it's at.) [snip] (...) accept (...) No actually 3033 is the only set that we don't (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

(...) Indeed - I had spotted that, but given that 3033 is about to be discontinued, it did not seem worth fussing over Lego's poor grasp of geography. (...) In the unquoted portion of the letter to me, he said he researched the matter in depth. For (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Petrucelli and Eric Kingsley were a bit sad about 3033 . . . Could I suggest, that if anyone feels upset or angry about the move to discontinue 3033, they write to Lego. I think that the points made by Mike Petrucelli and (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

Perhaps they shipped some of the remaining tubs to Australia in order to partially compensate us for a complete lack of anything bulk/interesting/useful like Shop@Home. Ha! Ha! I'll bet that K-Mart imported them themselves in order to rid themselves (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

FYI: (I suppose) this type of cheap bulk tubs were specifically developed for the US market because overthere they have legal clones to compete with. In Europe there are no (legal) clones, so we never got the bargain. So consider yourself lucky (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?

(...) Hmm, interesting thought: the LEGO Outlet at Potomac Mills has some of the Bulk Brick packages, but not many of them,[1] and they're in little scoop-bins (ie, low-front bins). It would be a good test-market to put up a real Bulk Bricks section (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jun-01, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)