 Dear LEGO / 2237
Re: Re - Realease Old Themes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:32:58 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Mark de Kock writes:
I think this is exactly why TLC will NOT re-release old themes. Only a few
dozen want it.

And bulk orders are doomed to fail, right?  That's what TLC probably thought
before the advent of Lego Direct -- presently, demand has exceeded all
expectations.

Yeah, in the first month. Let's see what happens in siz months. See if the
bulk ordering demands are still that great. Remember that we had to wait for
bulk sales a _long_ time. Everybody got psyched up and started buying as soon
as bulk sales started. But the world moves on...at least the USA will. Europe
is still waiting for bulk sales.

Second reason: Re-releasing old themes would be like admitting defeat. TLC
would have to acknowledge that present day themes stink when comparing them • to
the old themes. TLC would never do that.

Why not?  Aren't you asserting it as a fact that they SHOULD acknowledge?  I
am continually mystified at persons who publically oppose marketing moves they
themselves would probably approve of should they be implemented.  You wouldn't
buy a 6067 for $40-50 USD?  Castle themed stuff would be flying off the
shelves if it weren't castle jr. and Fright Knights II.

It's just plain marketing. TLC, just like any other bussiness will inovate.
How would people look at Microsoft if Microsoft decided to abandon Windows
2000 and re-released Windows NT 3.51? You have to agrre that 3.51 was much
better.

No one wants to see the return of Blacktron I?  Todd? Anyone...?

How about the Metro Liner?  Larry?  Anyone...?

SES, or BSB? Anyone?

Sure I want it. A lot of people want it. But also a lot of people buy Town Jr
these days. Even I have bought the occasional set (6474, which is a remarkeble
good set).

I haven't seen Playmobile give up on these themes...

But when you compair current Playmobil to sets from 15 years ago, you'd also
see the differences. It used to be that you could use one figure as a knight,
an indian or a pirate. Nowadays that is not possible due to the great amount
of theme-specific details _permanently_ attached to the figures...

-- Richard

Mark (excuse the spelling, I'm typing this in a haste, as we are in the middle
of a server-crash and rebuild)