 Dear LEGO / 1305
Re: Another way to market Lego Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:24:20 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Mark Tarrabain writes:
        I'm an AFOL and an avid LUGNET reader.  The topic of Lego Direct • has
been on a lot of peoples minds and while thinking about it, I had an idea
(although not a new one).
        Have you considered selling Lego Bricks through some sort of Multi
Level Marketing?  People could hold "Lego parties" like others do for
Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Creative Memories or whatever.  You could invite
just parents or parents and kids.

I, for one, would not be too keen on this idea.

For one thing, why would people bother with MLM's when they can buy
directly from Lego Direct?  The only way would be to not allow people to
buy directly from LEGO, but rather, only through their agents, which
sorta defeats the term 'Direct' in the Lego Direct name, doesn't it?

You didn't read my original post close enough.  The price would be the same as
it is now for ordering through S@H.  You would just indicate that you bought
it because you went someone's party.  The person buying the Legos pays the
same.  TLC just "reimburses" the consultant for their sales efforts on their
behalf.

Anyway, you can already buy stuff at stores if you want.  This is to gain the
additional market penetration.  Instead of a child who may not have any prior
experience with Legos ignoring the Lego aisle and heading straight for the
latest Nintendo game, they will see all the cool things TLC has to offer as
well as any cool MOCs that the consultant might have on hand.  Plus you have
the benefit of buying from the complete catalog instead of just what the local
store has.

Secondly, I've had more than one bad experience with assorted MLM's, and
am less than keen on repeating the them even once more (please... don't
email me and tell me that my experiences were the exception.  Trust that
if you were in my position, you would probably feel the same way).
Anyways, if LEGO were to go this route, I seriously doubt I could bring
myself to deal with them any further.

Ditto.  It's a fine line between pyramid structure and pyramid scheme, and • it's
very easy for an individual marketter(sp?) to cross, even in a legit • structure.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

As far as that goes, I agree.  Bad experiences out number my good ones.  I've
gotten more than one unsolited "presentation" from some Amway zealot.  I would
definately model things after the way Creative Memories or Pampered Chef does
things.   They are much, much more low key.  Besides, Legos sell themselves.
What kid or adult wouldn't look at a cool MOC or stock set and be interested?
The emphasis would not be on "building the pyramid" as it is in Amway.  It
would be on selling the Lego products and helping your customers enjoy their
hobby.  That is the way the MLMs that I have respect for do it (which is a
short list).

Steve Martin