 Dear LEGO / 1272
Re: Another way to market Lego Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:03:21 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Eric Brouwer writes:
I REALLY like this idea.  In theory it would be fantastic.  But I don't think
the market outside of AFOL's would support it.  I mean how many "parties could
you possibly host?  No AFOL's would come.  They'd be busy trying to have their
own parties.  How many kids want to be able to buy 100 gray 1x1 tiles?  Don't
get me wrong, I think it may have some legs, but may need a different • approach.

Eric

Well, proof is that it already works quite well for a number of products.  For
instance:

My wife is heavily into "scrap booking" (making very elaborate photo albums).
The consultant that she goes to makes > $15k a year doing this.  (What I would
give to be able to spend $15k on Lego bricks a year!).  She does this through
a variety of services:

1.  She holds monthly "crops" (from "cropping" the pictures) that are about 6
hours long.  She provides snacks and has door prizes every hour.  She has
stock on hand.  It costs $10 to attend (which just basically covers the
food/drinks/prizes).  In addition to all that, it provides a way for people
with the common interest to socialize.

2.  She holds parties at peoples homes.  This is the standard thing where one
person is a host and invites a bunch of friends.  The consultant pitches their
product to the attendees.  There are various elements to this like if enough
"product" is ordered, the host gets free stuff.

3.  Overnight events.  My wife is going to a overnight crop at a bed and
breakfest.  Similar to the "crops", but more elaborate.

4.  Focused workshop.  These are for learning specific techniques.

5.  Maintains a "Christmas list".  This is a great idea.  My wife just made a
list of things that she wanted and gave it to the consultant.  My wife then
gave me a card with how to contact the consultant.  I called the consultant
and ordered the stuff.  I picked it up (already gift wrapped) and presto -
Instant Christmas gifts!

At any of the gatherings, you can buy supplies.

Anyway, to sum it up - I never would have thought there would be this much
money in decorating photo albums.  Currently, the woman my wife goes to has
about 6 other consultants under her.  And of course, she gets a cut of what
they take in.  I think TLC could use these types of things to make a pile of
money for themselves.  Not to mention helping out the serious AFOL.

Steve