 Dear LEGO / 1269
1268  |  1270
Subject:
Another way to market Lego Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:54:05 GMT

To Lego Direct (Brad Justus)

Brad,
I'm an AFOL and an avid LUGNET reader.  The topic of Lego Direct has
been on a lot of peoples minds and while thinking about it, I had an idea
(although not a new one).
Have you considered selling Lego Bricks through some sort of Multi
Level Marketing?  People could hold "Lego parties" like others do for Pampered
Chef, Tupperware, Creative Memories or whatever.  You could invite just
parents or parents and kids.
You already have some of the materials.  The Shop at Home (S@H)
catalog would do nicely.  Also, most of the "Lego consultants" would probably
have great examples of things that they had built to show off how wonderful
Lego Bricks are.
When someone that had been at a show calls S@H, they would just say
that "Steve Martin" (in my case) was their consultant and I would be credited
for the sale.  You could also have the consultant do the ordering and
delivery.  I'm not sure what would work out best for TLC.  The consultants
could be paid in cash or just given Lego in kind (probably what I would do).
What this gets TLC is a bunch of rabid (did I say that?  I meant avid
:) ) salespersons pushing your product through S@H.  I assume you make more
money selling direct through S@H.  What people like me get is a way to further
their Lego habit.
If you want to take it a step further, you could even have the
consultants carry stock.  Probably not a lot, but definitely things like
baseplates and motors.  This could a great way to gain the additional
market penetration that TLC is striving for.  You would also have consultants
who could extol the virtues of Lego Bricks over the generic "Brand X" copy cat
brick.  I hope this is something you might consider.  Thank you for your time.

Playing Well,
Steve Martin
martinsa@mail.com (Home)
smartin@centilliondata.com (Work)