 Dear LEGO / 1026
  Mindstorms Wishlist

1. RCX Pro Like the current yellow RCX brick, but with more inputs and outputs. Basically the same size, but could be a tiny bit bigger to fit more connectors. Is _square_ on the bottom, and of course has an AC adaptor. Perhaps has both radio and IR (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

Mmmmm.... Crickets.... I too would like to see those go GPA. Perhaps powered by those little 12V camera batteries? And make them cheap! I'm visualizing robotic army ants with coordinated group behavior. Perhaps using one of the flocking algorithms? (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) Just for reference by lego, these are now available in versions that do not have any mercury in them. Would be wise to use those, given mercury's poisonousness. A lot more expensive ($4 vs. $0.50, or something like that), but worth it IMHO. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) The MIT ones use 9V batteries. But they tend to use the smaller micromotors, I think, and those surely don't have as much draw. (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) Yes, good point. (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

I would like to include in this wish-list: small (1/2 size current motor) servo motors. Ideally, these could connect to the standard RCX output and be set to rotate directly to any angle (in, say, 15 degree increments?). The implimentation of this (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) That would be nice, yeah. You are aware of the existence of the 5119 micromotor, yeah? <URL:(URL) It's not a stepper motor, but it is small.... (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) How about a new, smaller, style for input/output ports, perhaps a 3.5mm plug? This would allow more ports in less space on the RCX. But it would also require a port-to-LEGO conversion wire, so all the existing electric stuff can be hooked up. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) I like it. (...) Yes. Absolutely. Over one half of the current RCX is batteries, and another quarter or so is IO ports. I can see a very small mini-RCX being possible, especially if you make the display smaller or remove it altogether. What (...) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) Yes -- the miniRCX should have a few LEDs to indicate status, but no LCD panel. (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jasper Janssen wrote: [snipped great ideas about powering mini-RCX's with external battery boxes] (...) I agree! Small, modular robotic bits would be better than one big RCX bit. With the way robotic LEGO creations chew through (...) (25 years ago, 27-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

Wellnow, whose fault is THAT? TLC's, of course - they should have included the AC adapter. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (25 years ago, 27-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) Y'think? I'm not saying I've tried it, but I seem to remember posts from some of the electronics experts saying they thought there was circuitry to deal with a wide range of inputs.... (25 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) IIRC, almost anything commonly found in a household short of 110V~ or 220V~or 380V~ should be OK (documented is working up til 24V, IIRC, and after that it blows a replaceable fuse). Jasper (25 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) Hmm. Could have been a customer-service problem. Little Timmy's mom calls LEGO Consumer Affairs, reports that little Timmy's RCX doesn't work anymore. Consumer Affairs sends a new one, with a return shipping label so mom can ship back the bad (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Mindstorms Wishlist

(...) I wouldn't be surprised. When _I_ did power supply experiments as above, I used a 4.5V light brick (and hoo-boy, does 220V AC through a 4.5V light make a nice bright flash). An RCX is just so much a different cookie in terms of replacement (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)