 Dear LEGO / 1153
Re: Mindstorms Wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:16:23 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 00:27:02 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

Y'think? I'm not saying I've tried it, but I seem to remember posts from
some of the electronics experts saying they thought there was circuitry to
deal with a wide range of inputs....

IIRC, almost anything commonly found in a household short of 110V~ or
220V~or 380V~ should be OK (documented is working up til 24V, IIRC,
and after that it blows a replaceable fuse).

Hmm.  Could have been a customer-service problem.  Little Timmy's mom calls LEGO
Consumer Affairs, reports that little Timmy's RCX doesn't work anymore.
Consumer Affairs sends a new one, with a return shipping label so mom can ship
back the bad unit.  Upon arrival, CAQA discovers there's nothing wrong with the
RCX, but the fuse has blown.  Seems like little Timmy was doing some
power-supply experiments.

Maybe LEGO really *is* saving enough money by skipping the power supply socket,
to justify the (small) redesign.  Seems unlikely, but who knows?

Steve