 Database / Brictionary / 35
Re: wishing upon a star
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:05:44 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Yes, indeed, John is (as evah) right. Let me weigh in here as well...

Putting meaning in keys is a sign of not very well seasoned designers,
IMHO.

A pretty strong principle of database design is NOT to let your key have
business meaning. Get keys from a source that is intended to be unique,
then never ever ascribe meaning to them. All meaning should be in
attributes.

Else your business logic will be tres brittle and you will live to
regret it. Don't do it. Trust me.

Pardon my inexperience.  I am neither a program designer, nor a person with any
business logic whatsoever...perhaps I should have footnoted these factss before
sticking my idea out here.

I think that 90% of the users of a would-be PartSearch.com (or whatever) are
NOT businessmen, NOT out to make cash from this, but simply ignoramuses like
myself who would potentially benefit from a more logical numbering sytem that
might enable them to track down the parts they're trying to find.

That said, I'll crawl back under my rock....(made of BURP's, no less)...

Jot and Jab