 Database / Brictionary / 33
Re: wishing upon a star
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:46:08 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Yes, indeed, John is (as evah) right. Let me weigh in here as well...

Putting meaning in keys is a sign of not very well seasoned designers,
IMHO.

A pretty strong principle of database design is NOT to let your key have
business meaning. Get keys from a source that is intended to be unique,
then never ever ascribe meaning to them. All meaning should be in
attributes.

Taking that to the ultimate suggests even the TLG part number should not
be the key (which of course is already a known issue if you want to
account for color and/or printing).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com