 Color / 695
Re: Final draft of the letter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:50:39 GMT

I just saw this (I have a version going too in a thread in lugnet.color - we
should consider combining efforts) Some comments - and it's just one person's
opinion.

In lugnet.color, David Simmons wrote:
Hey all,

So I posted a second draft but got no responses, so I'm assuming that
everyone (or the few people who read it) agree with and approve the text.
I'll present it again below.  I would like to print a copy, sign it and mail
it this week, but there is some crucial information I'm missing which is
asked for in the body of the letter.  If someone could be so kind as to
provide it (or tell me where I can find it) then we can really get the ball
rolling!

Your name

Your Street Address

Town, State/Province Zip Code

Country

What would be the correct address?

Dear Lego Company,

As an Adult Fan Of Lego (or AFOL), one of the qualities of your product
which I've always admired most is the principle of backwards compatibility.
Ever since the introduction of the Lego System of Play, you have strived to
make sure that every Lego brick matches every other Lego brick, both in fit
and color (with slight variances that are acceptable due to your very high
standard of production quality). However, the recent color change has
undermined this principle.

Agreed. But why is undermining this principle bad for Lego? Or, from a different
approach, why is staying true to this principle something that is good for Lego?

From a corporation/company standpoint, it really doesn't matter whether staying
true to principle is good for us, it only has to be good for Lego. Now if we tie
something persuasive in about how what is good for the customer is good for
Lego, that would help. I know, it's basic customer satisfaction 101, but
sometimes it needs to be stated.

My involvement in the AFOL community has brought
to my attention the fact that many other AFOL's also share my disappointment
with this change. As a long-standing Lego collector and builder, it is
difficult to accept that some of the colors I've been collecting for years
will no longer be available. It is also difficult to accept that the new
colors do not match the old ones.

True points, but again, why is this change bad enough for Lego to care? Are we
AFOL's great ambassadors of their product? Do we account for a large enough x%
of Lego's revenue for them to care? (Can we prove it, or at least show enough
circumstantial evidence to infer it?)

It's all about how Lego can get more money. Now, goodwill, such as AFOL's being
ambassadors of the product, counts sort of like money in this context (CPA
accountants, please forgive my deliberate butchering of the term), but you have
to make a persuasive case on how goodwill roughly quantifies into money for
Lego.

I am writing you this letter to communicate my strong concerns on this issue
and to give you a heartfelt plea to please consider the impact of changes
like this on the AFOL community. We are here for the long term. I plan to
have this hobby for the rest of my life and to enjoy it as much as possible.
Having consistent colors and principles for manufacturing them would add
greatly to my enjoyment of the Lego product in the decades to come. If it is
within the realm of human possibility, please change them back!

Sincerely yours,

Your name here

I'm not trying to downplay your (our) pain. I'm just seeing if we can shape it
into a stronger argument on why Lego should care.

The only thing that really gets a company's attention is money. Now, there are
various ways to help a corporation eventually get more revenue without actually
adding money or talking about specific numbers (aforementioned goodwill, build
up of brand, reputation, loyalty/longevity) but these are harder to prove to a
corporation and need to have strong and reasoned arguments.

This is a great start. Succinct, and to the point. There is a lot I like about
it. Please feel free to read my recent thread/draft letter. My draft letter 1
has it's share of problems, but may give another perspective to add to the salad
so to speak. My Draft 2 will also have some issues, but hopefully be better.

Mark