 Color / 704
Re: Final draft of the letter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:12:09 GMT

David,

I think that’s great. Its honest, heartfelt and doesn’t try to stretch the facts. There is nothing in there that the reader could argue with and its not whiny. It also has a “call to action”. You may also want to refer to my other post to add a couple explicit points which explain the impact.

To make it more readable, add one paragraph break as below.

   As an Adult Fan Of Lego (or AFOL), one of the qualities of your product which I’ve always admired most is the principle of backwards compatibility. Ever since the introduction of the Lego System of Play, you have strived to make sure that every Lego brick matches every other Lego brick, both in fit and color (with slight variances that are acceptable due to your very high standard of production quality).

   However, the recent color change has undermined this principle. My involvement in the AFOL community has brought to my attention the fact that many other AFOL’s also share my disappointment with this change. As a long-standing Lego collector and builder, it is difficult to accept that some of the colors I’ve been collecting for years will no longer be available. It is also difficult to accept that the new colors do not match the old ones.

   I am writing you this letter to communicate my strong concerns on this issue and to give you a heartfelt plea to please consider the impact of changes like this on the AFOL community. We are here for the long term. I plan to have this hobby for the rest of my life and to enjoy it as much as possible. Having consistent colors and principles for manufacturing them would add greatly to my enjoyment of the Lego product in the decades to come. If it is within the realm of human possibility, please change them back!