 Castle / Ninja / 15
Re: How do YOU build them?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Chris Barker writes:
To get things started, I figure I'll ask how y'all • build items which
would have been common accessories for samurai but are • not available as
pre-made parts:

1 sashimono (the back mounted flag)

Johnny Blaze and I came up with some stuff for this • involving a "brick
in the but" mounting with an antenna, but I'm open to • other solutions

To see what Chris means click on the link and there are pics about 2 pages in:

http://community.webtv.net/johnNYblaze44/johnNYblazeswebpage

(I apologize if the link is broken.  The Lugnet server truncates my urls
intermittently)

2 jingasa (pointy iron helmet)

2x2 radar dish

I also use this piece in different colors to represent the straw/weaved hats
of villagers, fishermen, and farmers.  (as an aside, the "kettle" helms from
the defense archers have a nifty Asian appeal when surrounded by other
Ninja/Asian theme structures)

The 2x2 dish is the most viable solution for the moment.  I have
experimented with using the 2x2 radar dish with 1x1 cones or 1x1 "dot"
plates attached to the dish, but I was less than satisfied with the results.

3 nagatina (curved blade spear)

nothing yet

I believe there was a Brikwars scenario set-up around a monastery structure
that employed several elements to make theis style of spear.  In general it
invoved ues of 1x1 clips, a 1x1 round, a Lance and a standard Samurai sword.
I will see if I can find the link...

I used Modified Brown Oars:

I experimented with fashioning these on+off for a year.  I had a bin of
broken, scratched and damaged parts that I put aside to experiment on. One
example of a modified oar is featured on my webpage in the pics showing
Pharo-moto on the beach.  I used an exacto knife to cut out part of a Brown
Oar.  As I am not particularly gifted at painting, cutting and so forth,
some of you may make much better examples using the same techniques. The
Brown oar was rther short, but the curvature was appealing for the design of
this style of weapon.

(These brown oars were left over from bulk lots, so I don't know where I got
them...I believe 3050 has a pair)

4 nagae-yari (long spear)

nothing yet

I believe there was another .castle post about this a few months back...I
believe one of the suggestions was to remove the AXE blade from the standard
Dark Gray halberd.  The spear is a littl short, butwe are all familiar with
the compromises in scale that are made when using minifigures.  I have only
tried this once...I prefer not to modify Lego simply because I seem to lack
the requisite skill...lol

                       John
(Please tell me if I am posting too often to this group, I'll try to slow
down....well...a little)