 Castle / 8433
Re: New House
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:51:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Brian Kasprzyk writes:
Unfortunately I do not have a real staircase in the tower.  The reason for
this is the fact that you can't open the tower.  If you have seen my
Wizard's tower (where I used the counterpart white curved walls
http://legobuilders.com/Buildings/Wizards-tower.htm), you will see one of
the images shows an interior view, but that section is made out of bricks.
the problem with the round wall sections is that once you stack more then
one in a row, they don't want to stay together.  They want to bend out and
since there is no way to put a 'plate' top on it (or hinge them unless you
go with an oval and have a section for the doors) that still allows you
access inside, you just have to pretend.  but, we are talking Lego, and you
still have limitations on the small scale!  I did play with the black
circler pre-fabbed stairs from the twisted Time train and they would fit
inside, but that leaves no room for anything else.  Head room is normal
since it is a prefabbed piece.  You can also do a 1x4 plate (2 plates per
stair) stairwell.  That typically works really well.

Hmm... Was thinking about exactly how to do this... I suppose if you used
each step as having:
2x4 plate
1x4 tile
1x2 tile
1x1 tile
1x1 plate
And spiraling them around the center stud, then you could work your way up
the center of the cylinder, until you get to the level you want to 'land'
at. (You'd need a half-stud offset at the center so the edges of the bent
2x4's wouldn't collide with the side thinwalls). Then at the top, you'd make
3/4 of the cylinder, and top it off with the 1/4 plate for a landing, and as
something to attach the top step to. Next fill the sides of the 'empty'
space with 1x1 bricks (and plates) so that you've got something to put the
next 1/4 thinwall on top to continue the tower... Plus you could build the
door right into the stairwell with the 1x1 brick columns... Downside being:
needs lots of 1x1 plates! I guess you could try and use odd colors and hide
them as best as possible, but they'd still be visible on the underside of
the stairs...

Not sure if that method would work or not... Hmm... I'll have to play with it...

DaveE

Using dark gray and black together would expand the bricks you could draw
from.  You could 'hide' the dark gray on the underside and you probably
wouldn't notice it!  What were you going to do with the tiles?