 Castle / 8430
Re: New House
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:02:37 GMT

I wonder how noticeable it would look with 1x1 or 1x2 columns of bricks
spaced between the 1/4 thinwalls on the tower-- that'd at least give a good
starting point for the window... not sure about how to do the door though...
and of course the fact that it makes the tower be not perfectly round... I'm
thinking of trying something like that for my next castle endeavor, but in
my case just to add a little more bulk to the towers... One other question:
How'd you work the spiral staircase inside? 2x4 plates stacked on a central
stud and twisted? How much clearance (for minifigs) is there between the
staircase and the next 'level' of the staircase?

DaveE

Unfortunately I do not have a real staircase in the tower.  The reason for
this is the fact that you can't open the tower.  If you have seen my
Wizard's tower (where I used the counterpart white curved walls
http://legobuilders.com/Buildings/Wizards-tower.htm), you will see one of
the images shows an interior view, but that section is made out of bricks.
the problem with the round wall sections is that once you stack more then
one in a row, they don't want to stay together.  They want to bend out and
since there is no way to put a 'plate' top on it (or hinge them unless you
go with an oval and have a section for the doors) that still allows you
access inside, you just have to pretend.  but, we are talking Lego, and you
still have limitations on the small scale!  I did play with the black
circler pre-fabbed stairs from the twisted Time train and they would fit
inside, but that leaves no room for anything else.  Head room is normal
since it is a prefabbed piece.  You can also do a 1x4 plate (2 plates per
stair) stairwell.  That typically works really well.

So, to answer the question, the tower is really hollow.  There just wasn't a
good way to make the inside accessible.

http://legobuilders.com