 Castle / 779
Re: Lego/playmobile ramble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Silas Pierrot writes:

After reading this post and the long string of responses, I would have to
say that it is interesting that no one did jump on Rachel or throw thousands
of Timmys.  If someone made a comment comparing Lego to Mega Blocks (or
almost any other company for that matter) the response would be heated.  It
appears that everyone has a healthy respect for Playmobil.  Would it be a
safe assumption for me to make that almost everyone who was raised on Lego
had at least one Playmobil set as well?  I know I did, and whenever I am in
the toy store I have to look and see what's new in the Playmobil section
(although I never buy any, I just think its cool)

Silas

I didn't have any Playmobil toys.  They may have been out of our
family's price range when I was young enough to be the intended Playmobil
target audience, but when I was that young, I was much more interested
in playing with toy dinosaurs than anything else.  But I just don't
remember seeing much Playmobil as a kid.  Only one kid I knew had them, and
I was aware of the impression that they were Expensive Toys (aka I didn't
feel comfortable playing with them when I was at his house, but I enjoyed
looking at them).

I received my first LEGO set as a gift when I was 11 years old.  Before
that I was more into Star Wars and Micronaut toys.  I kind of envy the
little kids who grow up with it, but then I wonder if they'll be
tired of it at just the same age that I was getting into it.

I think Playmobil gets props from LEGO fans because it's a high quality
toy, and not a cheap imitation / slavish clone of LEGO.  And it's
in a slightly different product sphere - it's not really a building
toy, it's more expensive, not less (ergo not threatening), and you
don't find it on the shelves of Walmart crowding out the LEGO sets.

I'll go ogle Playmobil when I get the chance - looking at it makes
me happy.  It triggers some of the same buttons as Castle, Pirate, or
the better Town sets do - the thrill of looking at a tiny toy world
filled with castles or hospitals or pirate ships, with cute little
figures to collect.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"