 Castle / 756
Re: Lego/playmobile ramble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:05:51 GMT

Rachel Kingston wrote:

Hi all,

At the risk of being jumped on simultaneously, by thousands of AFOL's (or
having thousands of Timmy's thrown at me) I just finished having a look at the
playmobil site, and came away with much food for thought.

Firstly I was struck with the resemblance to Lego thematically, trains,
castle, western, pirates, town, on closer inspection, there were many sets
that seemed almost identical (thematically and piece wise, remembering that
playmobil don't do bricks as such, just minifigs, burps and spuds)

So much so, that I started to wonder who was copying from who? I decided
loyally, as the good AFOL that I am, that THEY must be copying from Lego.
Then a further set search revealed an interesting (to me anyway) coincidence
(or not?)

I have noticed this similarity also. Part of it is the fact that both
lines are very extensive, so should have an incredible overlap (or
someone's research into what kids seem to be interested in is totally
invalid). I have noticed other toy brands with significant overlaps with
LEGO, which again comes back to what kids are interested in.

LEGO and Playmobile also compete very strongly with each other, so they
will be copying back and forth. The differences come in because
Playmobile is more strickly a play set system (which happens to have
decided that a bit of modularity improves their product tremendously,
but still keeps the quick set up and ready to play aspects of a
playset).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com