 Castle / 7568
7567  |  7569
Subject:
Pictures/Camera tricks.. was Re: Droid Escape parts useful for Castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:54:13 GMT

Yup, they're grey.  Using no flash with my camera results in this effect,
I've noticed, but the flash pics were hopelessly overexposed.  The blue
background probably didn't help.  If I ever get a proper website up with
stories and stuff, I'll see if I can figure it out.  One of these days...

  Yeah, my camera does that too.. If you look at my pictures
here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2973
you'll see the results of one of my techniques.. Basically I
use the flash plus a pair of 500-watt halogens (one aiming
up at the cieling for ambient light, the other aiming at the
MOCs). That way I get the blue balance from the flash, and
light and shadows that are angled well such that the camera's
settings don't get overly confused... However, if I want it
to  look more like natural lighting (as in the examples at
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2434 ), I use
just the halogens, letting the color balance be thrown off,
and increase the blue by about 30% or so in a graphics
program afterwards. Using the flash too close always
seems to result in a really washed out picture no matter
what I do, so for real closeups I just try to get as much light
as I can from other sources and do touch-ups later.. But
then, my camera hates focusing on stuff that's too close too.

  The halogen lights I use are just the two lamps on a single
free-standing work-light unit that I got from a hardware
store for about $40.

--
-Bones-  "Being Optimized for Nocturnal Exploration and Sabotage"
= http://www.necrobones.com/        = NecroBones Enterprises