 Castle / 7586
Re: Pictures/Camera tricks.. was Re: Droid Escape parts useful for Castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:36:49 GMT

You can get 250-watt blue incadescent bulbs from a camera store. They're
expensive ($5-$6) and only last 3 hours, but you only need them while • you're
shooting. Use other lights to compose your shot.

  I may look into that, it would certainly help.

For best results, use a tripod, a few photo lamps (you can get clamp-on
fixtures for the blue bulbs for about $16 and diffusing shades for about • $16,
for a total cost of about $40 per fixture - I use 3), low-contrast film • (e.g.
Kodac Portra 400 NC), and an ambient light meter (your camera uses a • reflective
meter). Use the tripod and your camera's timer or a remote shutter pin to • take
long-exposure shots. Anything over 1/60th second exposure should be done • on a
tripod. Arrange your lighting for minumum direct reflection at the camera
angle. If you use a light meter (they aren't cheap) your camera will need • a
manual exposure setting.

  Ahh, You use film-based cameras. :)  Many of us that are having
this particular color-balance issue are using digitals. You can
certainly get better results with film if you know what you're doing
and can afford the equipment, but for me the ease of digital and
the fact that I don't mind doing touch-ups in a graphics program
make it a beter choice for me.

--
-Bones-  "Being Optimized for Nocturnal Exploration and Sabotage"
= http://www.necrobones.com/        = NecroBones Enterprises