 Castle / 6969
Re: First post and LEGO wargaming questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:45:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
Lastly, what's a siege without
siege engines?!?!  Does anyone have any pictures of their creations?  I'm
thinking of battering rams and large "boarding towers" on wheels.  Any
thoughts?

Well, not to toot my own horn, but I have a few siege engines pictured on my
website.  Three of the four, admitedly, are directly from sets, but I do have
working Trebuchet on my site if you're interested in looking at it.  I
guarantee you won't find a more devistating wall destroyer than a basket
mounted Trebuchet (though lego proves quite resiliant against any lego sized
siege equipment)

http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html

--Anthony

That Trebuchet is really cool.  I assume it was inspired by Age of Empires 2.

A side not about the cannon however.  FYI This is straight from my history
Professor.  While rudimentry cannon were employed posibly as early as the 800s
(though more likely 1100s.) Exploding charges were not used until the early
1700s (possibly in the late 1600s but very rarely)  Cannon were not common
place untill the "pirate" era when a single hole in something (the ship)
actually mattered.  It wasn't until cannon were employed frequently that they
were refined enough to facilitate the developement of exploding charges and
consequently their employment on land as a major contributor to a conflict.  A
humorous note is that early cannon (1100-1600s) on land would frequently be
loaded with the enemy's (on the rare occasion both sides had them) last cannon
ball fired at the "fortress".

-Lord Insanity