 Castle / 494
Re: More news on 2000 lineup!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 20:00:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Ninja has castles, swords, armor, cavalry, etc.  Kind of seems REAL obvious • to
me.  It's just eastern as opposed to western.  That you don't care for it is
fine.  That it is not directly compatible, and that bugs a lot of people, I
understand.  But it is Castles.

Bruce

As far as Castle vs. Ninja, it's debateable as to whether or not Ninja belongs
in the same sub-theme. As far as being eastern/western, I think I'd agree for
the most part except for the one key difference of having guns. That seems to
put the Ninja theme further in the future than "regular" Castle. However,
because the time frame for the mideaval era stretches a great distance, the
time frame for "Castle" can be viewed as being non-specific. So it might not • be
pushing it too far (I'm no historian) to group Ninja as in the same time frame
as Castle.

I think the problem lies in the title "Castle". Westerners tend to think of
castles as being Mideaval fortresses around 1000 AD (give or take a couple
centuries) and being Euro-centric. But "Castle" as a word doesn't necessarily
have that meaning. Perhaps it woule be better language-wise to call it a
"Mideaval" theme, or perhaps MORE correct to call it "Feudal". I think that
would more safely encompass Ninja for TLG's sake.

From my own standpoint, however, Ninja doesn't seem to fit with what has been
produced in the past for the rest of the "Castle" line... I'm not very likely
going to be integrating my Emperor's Ninjas with my Royal Knights characters • in
epic combat. The two worlds don't really mix well. Hence perhaps it would be
more fitting if they WERE placed into a separate category; although it is by • no
means inaccurate to place them together-- it simply makes the "Castle" title
bend towards the "Mideaval-time-period" interpretation.

DaveE

I have to stand by my earlier statement: you may not like, it may not be
compatible with euro-castles, but Castles it is, nevertheless.  My son doesn't
particularly care about compatiblity, in any case (the Ninja are assaulting the
Adventurers at the moment - he just saw latest resurrection of The Mummy).

Yes, they could have made it the Ninja line, or Samurai line, and skipped the
Castles title.  But the Ninja line overlaps too much with the traditional
Castle line thematically (castles, swords, etc.) for Lego to produce new lines
in both, so Castles it is.  I don't have a problem with calling everything else
traditional Castles, or euro-Castles, or western Castles, or even "real"
Castles (in quotes).

The Ninja line can fit without too much historical bending into the Castles
line or the Pirates line.  The portugese introduced firearms into Japan in the
mid-1500s, I believe.  Remove them, and the Ninja line fits reasonably into the
main Castle time period.  Leave them in and have Drake make a wrong turn while
circumnavigating the earth and you are into the earliest of the Pirates period.

I'm glad to see the traditional european-flavored Castles return, regardless.
Ninja had run its course - had they included the boat and the minifig pack the
first year, it would have been fine with me as a one-time release.  The second
year was too repetitious and not as good a value.

Bruce