 Castle / 2644
Re: Questions for those with LARGE collections...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:23:17 GMT

Bill,

I'm not sure if most would consider me a heavey hitter but I'd like to respond.

For me it's been about eight years since my
renaissance (shortly after getting married...hmm, I wonder what that means??)

Sounds like you have a good marraige, because you are aware that LEGO has to
fit in with your other priorities.

and I've picked up what I could afford here and there over the years, but I've
stepped up the amount of time and money that I spend on this VERY EXPENSIVE

Golf and flying are expensive, not LEGO ;)

hobby since finding others like me on the internet - before I kinda felt a
little freakish in the TRU aisles shopping for myself. Anyway, my collection
isn't that bad - I have over 300 castle fig

300 seems like a pretty good size army.  I have about 350 castle minifig,
however, I also have been at this a few more years than most.  Some of you
guys/gals have mustered huge armies in a realitive short period of time.

    Roughly, what is the size of your collection?

800 different sets (give or take 25), everything from Homemaker to Technic.

    How long has it taken you to accumulate such a large collection?

1983 with ups and downs in intensity.

         How much of it is from your childhood?

None, all were sacrificied to my younger siblings and foster brothers.

    How much time per week do you spend building?

This varies from long winter days indoors building (15-20 hours per week)to not
much (sometimes nothing in a weeks time) during the warmer months of the years.
  Family responsibilities have changed in the last few years giving me more
time to pursue my hobbies.
    What is your monthly lego budget?

This is a tough question.  It all depends on your disposable income.  I buy
what I want if the price is right (clearance sales at Walmart or Target) plus I
have had the opportunity to purchase a number of collections from local kids
getting out of the hobby.  When my family was younger and the budget was
tighter, LEGO was not one of my priorities.

    Does any of this cause family conflict?  (For some of you, I wonder if
you have contact with anyone NOT made of abs)

My wife is very sympathetic and tolerant of my obsession.  In nineteen years of
marraige you get these things worked out:)

    When you build a large project, do you sketch plans or improvise as you
      go?

I always improvise, for me this is the fun of building!

I'm really enjoying reading these post.about other AFOL and JrFOL collections
and interests.  Lugnet.castle appears to be much more user friendly that some
of the others that are always flaming each other.

Brian