 Castle / 2649
Re: Questions for those with LARGE collections...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:28:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bill Farkas writes:
I'm always amazed at the pictures that are posted of the large creations and
the large minifig armies. For me it's been about eight years since my
renaissance (shortly after getting married...hmm, I wonder what that means??)
and I've picked up what I could afford here and there over the years, but I've
stepped up the amount of time and money that I spend on this VERY EXPENSIVE
hobby since finding others like me on the internet - before I kinda felt a
little freakish in the TRU aisles shopping for myself. Anyway, my collection
isn't that bad - I have over 300 castle figs and about 25,000 pieces - but
some of you guys are just incredible!! I was wondering if some of you
heavyhitters would mind feeding my curiosity:

I would not consider myself a real heavy hitter but hear goes.

    Roughly, what is the size of your collection?

My guess is that I have somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 pieces.  And I only
have probably 200 or so figs with only about 20 of those being true castle figs
(If you count the SW peasants then I have more figs that work in a castle
environment).

I would also have to say I have done a lot of supplimenting of my collection
through S@H and that is why I have lots of Gray and both red and black 45
degree slopes.

    How long has it taken you to accumulate such a large collection?

Well I got my first LEGO in probably 1974-1975 sometime and I still have most
of that and I would say I collected as a kid until around 1987 sometime.  I
then went into my Darkages that lasted from around 1987 until just about a year
ago.  (I had a very long darkage :-(  ).

         How much of it is from your childhood?

I would guess 2000 - 3000 is from my childhood and the rest I have purchased in
the last year.

    How much time per week do you spend building? (not playing - I hate when
      my wife tells me to stop playing and put my "toys"(!) away)

Sounds like you have a situation similar to me.  I would say I probably build
between 10 and 20 hours a week on average.  The way I get away with it is
because my wife really likes her TV shows on Monday's, Wednesday's, and
Thursday's and I hate the TV so that is when I can get away with building.  She
knows I hate the TV and she does not mind me "building" then.

It does get tricky when I get on a role though because weekends can be touchy.
If I am "on a role" I do usually get up first on the weekend so that gives me a
little time in the morning.  The rest of the time I just play it by ear.

    What is your monthly lego budget?

This varies and recently it has probably been in the 300 - 500 dollar range
although for reasons I can't discuss just yet that number is going to fall a
bit.  I can only say that this is not because my wife is putting the clamp on
my spending but because we have other places for our money to be spent.

    Does any of this cause family conflict?  (For some of you, I wonder if
    you have contact with anyone NOT made of abs)

Not really although I would say I don't think my wife fully understands my
hobby but she does think that it is good that I am meeting people because of it
so for that reason I think she tolerates it more.

    When you build a large project, do you sketch plans or improvise as you
      go?

I would say both.

For an example of each...

My B-Wing was planned.