 Castle / 2638
Re: Questions for those with LARGE collections...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:20:16 GMT

While I'm not a heavy hitter by any stretch of the imagination, I do have a
pretty decent collection.

In lugnet.castle, Bill Farkas writes:

    Roughly, what is the size of your collection?

50k pieces is probably accurate.  I really need to do another round of sorting
and inventory.  All of the Star Wars sets (plus bunches of other misc. sets
bought on sale/discount) went into a large cardboard box.  This has put a major
damper on my building, as I have to go wading through the blasted thing to find
parts I _know_ I have.  I'm still hunting for a Darth Maul hood and 2 black
capes that have disappeared in the mess.

    How long has it taken you to accumulate such a large collection?

18 years.  I'm 22, and I've had LEGO toys as long as I can remember, beginning
with DUPLO and rapidly moving on from there.

         How much of it is from your childhood?

Quite a bit, but it's not a majority any more.  I bought blue buckets like
crazy for a while to build up my supply of basic blocks.

    How much time per week do you spend building? (not playing - I hate when
      my wife tells me to stop playing and put my "toys"(!) away)

Of late, I've been spending 3 evenings a week (plus some time on the weekends).
Maybe 15-20 hrs.

    What is your monthly lego budget?

Budget?  What is this word... budget?  Seriously, though, I try to limit myself
(try, being the operative word), as I'm trying to save up money for an
apartment/town house.

    Does any of this cause family conflict?  (For some of you, I wonder if
    you have contact with anyone NOT made of abs)

My room is in a state of disarray, and my mom refuses to go near it.  Walking
is no problem, as there's a nice path to the bed, but otherwise....

    When you build a large project, do you sketch plans or improvise as you
    go?

Yes and no.  My cathedrals are almost always based on drawings, as it's too
difficult to keep things straight, otherwise.  Most projects, however, are as
the whim takes me.  I like taking pictures of existing things and LEGOizing
them.

Eric "the" Lind