 Castle / 20390
Re: Castle Gate and Castle Corner Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:51:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz wrote:
   I love both of these creations. Having worked on a similiar gate myself, I could see how much time must have gone into building it. I really liked that you had your walls built on a rocky elevation and not just on baseplates. While they would have still looked great on regular baseplates, the landscape was a very nice touch.

Thanks! The gate was built over most of the summer, on and off. I put in lots of time, but it was spread in short bursts over the course of a couple months. It also involved quite a bit of waiting for the figures.

   Secondly, I liked the arrow slits - guarded, simple, and well placed. The crenellations on top of the towers and walls are really well done - I really appreciated all the attention to detail there - you went the extra mile in making those.

While making the windows I attempted to keep them fairly simple and plain, but still have some interest. The attention to detail...well, I went a bit overboard with some parts. Specifically the “2x4 look” of it. In between the crenels and around the windows I was very careful to make sure the bricks were spaced as if they were 2x4’s, even if 2x4’s were not possible.

   The height of the two creations is very realistic. The walls are tall and the towers extra tall. The back of the battlements is fenced off which is realistic.

I must admit, I didn’t think about realism: I just built it how I liked and thought looked good. Details such as the wood flooring are examples of this.

   One thing that I would have liked is pictures of the back of the two pieces. There are a lot of front shots, but no back shots. I would also like to see both of the creations together to see what they look like.

The back of the MOC is completely featureless: I didn’t photograph it simply because there was nothing to see, and it wasn’t too pretty. (The off-colour supports beneath the walls, and the internal parts of the landscaping)

   Great stuff!

-- Pawel

http://www.hostultra.com/~verneer/

Thanks! I’m glad you liked it! John L.