 Castle / 20358
Re: Castle Gate and Castle Corner Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:34:15 GMT

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, John Langrish wrote:

I thought I'd post my latest MOC, a Castle Gate, and a slightly older MOC, a
Castle Corner Tower, together. They're both the same "system" of building, so if
I had the bricks to have both constructed at once they would fit together
perfectly. (That's the theory anyway)

<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/5708
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/j1a3l5/Gate/thumb/gate01.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4795
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/j1a3l5/Corner-Tower/thumb/cornertower01.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

If you prefer pics

I'm interested on hearing feedback, good or bad. Especially any suggestions
people might have on how to improve my building skills.

I like it.  Some elements---particularly the use of 2x2x3 slopes and the
windows---add a great deal of visual interest to what could otherwise be
boring walls.  Unfortunately, they also make it prohibitivly expensive to
make a whole castle/town. . .

I would like to see the back of the wall.'

I think it would be cool to use one of the rare "left-facing" Falcon
torsos for this shot
but then again, I'm weird.

I question the use of brown for the parapets.  Since the wall has no mural
gallery, I assume it is just stone and rubble the whole way up.  Shouldn't
that mean that the parapets are just stone?  Having used brown, however,
the back railing is a nice touch.

On the towers, I would recommend arrow loops on the sides (by the wall).
The point of a projecting tower is to allow archers to sweep base of the
walls, but your defenders can only use the corner embrassures at the
tops of the towers for that purpose.

I'm torn on the use of tiling on the crenellation.  On the one hand, it
looks really good.  On the other hand, since it's not carried to the rest
of the stonework it doesn't quite fit. . .

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/