 Castle / 20357
Re: 3 Vignettes and some 'figs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:22:08 GMT

Oubliette:

(An oubliette is a very small prison chamber with a small door at the top. Prisoners were put inside these, and were often forgotten, as is illustrated in mine)

I saw this on Brickshelf ‘afore you posted it, I thought it was a vignette of Edgar Allen Poe’s story a Tell Tale Heart (the one where a guy kills and butchers another and puts him under the floor boards and tries to forget that he is there, but the pounding heart of the victim drives him mad.)

And in reference to Ken’s post, I think oubliette’s came in all sizes, practically speaking, -- like, the one you have here, full dungeons, cellars, Siberia, etc.

   UFO Landing:

(which explains the .space and .micro crosspost)

I know the bar is holding the ufo up, but it also looks like its after the chickens again. I can almost see the little farmer going for his shotgun, and the son trying to get a clear photo but he has too much vaseline over the lens.

Neat stuff. I see your vignettes as following the Ernest Hemingway approach to building -- few words (bricks), a lot of story (detail). These little things have to tell us a lot in as few bricks as possible, and I think they do that. The detail and architecture of the oubliette really sets the scene.

-- Avery