 Castle / 19029
  Medieval Mill

Hi, This project was almost finished two weeks ago, but a vacation got in the way. I had a chance to finish the interior tonight and have posted pictures to Brickshelf. The most challenging part was making a decent looking water wheel. (URL) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

Thats really cool James. The wheel looks right and in good proportion. I like the idea of having stone for the mill construction and wood for the living area. Its in nice proportion too, not too big, but detailed nonetheless. Do you use Ldraw ? (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

(...) Great job. Strange to say, the water wheel looks very similar to the one I've made: (URL) wonder who was first :) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

(...) James, Well I really like how you have used the Brown Logs. I find it hard to use them in a Building where it gives that realistic appeal. You have used these parts in moderation and all in the right places. Great work......... Cheers, Dave (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

(...) Wonderful little set! NIce detail. This would be a great set for Lego to make. How many pieces are in it? It looks smaller than the Guarded Inn ($25), so maybe it would go for $15? I think they would sell well for that price. Alas, we get (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

Hi Andrzej, Your guarded mill is really nice work! (...) Apparently it was simultaneously. I was pretty bummed when I got back from vacation and saw your wheel on Brickshelf. I found the aeronomad set on clearance before xmas and used some of the (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

Hi Pawel, (...) I just made a quick count/estimate. Suprisingly I think it would take about 400 pieces to replicate. There are a lot of 1x1s tho. No wonder it took so long to build :) James (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

Hi James, Thank you for the compliments. (...) I dabble in Ldraw but have never made instructions. I can send you more detailed pictures of the mill if you are interested. James (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

(...) Interesting. You are right - that's a lot. Dan's Blacksmith Shop was 622 pieces and cost $40.00. That would put your model right around $25.00. I doubt it would be that much though. Great set! Good photography too ... -- Pawel (URL) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

(...) Thanks, James. (...) I guess our mills will be tough competitors in the contest :) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Water wheel construction

Here is a better picture of the water wheel construction: (URL) wheel is held to the shaft using 1x1 plate clips. Each spoke is a horizontal clip and a vertical clip. The spokes at the seams of the tan pieces are dummies. They don't really hold (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Water wheel construction

(...) I'm curious, did you try rotating the fencing 22.5 degrees relative to the 8 clips so that each fence would be held on by 2 clips and all 8 would be used? Or does that not work, even if you skew the clips slightly? I want to see someone do an (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Medieval Mill

(...) Wow, this is pretty good. Definetly better than my watermill... The entire thing has a nice, compact, playable feel to it. (20 years ago, 7-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Water wheel construction

Hi Larry, (...) I looked at this. There are 20 equally spaced posts in the wheel (5 per fence piece). So 2,4,5,10 go in equally, but not 8. I was limited by the octagon piece to 2,4,or 8 spokes. I tried and you can fudge with 8 spokes in real life (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jan-04, to lugnet.castle)