 Castle / 18911
Re: Knights' Kingdom figures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:44:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Douglas R. Clark wrote:

I do remember that when I was just a kid, my standard response to my parents'
question "don't you have enough lego?" was that I didn't have the new pieces
that were available in the new sets.  It could be that creating new piece types
every year is just as important to creating demand for new sets as the set &
theme design themselves.  Otherwise, without new piece types (and colors),
eventually, there would be little to no incentive for longtime consumers to
continue buying new product???  I'm sure some pieces are juniorized when it
comes to the duplo/explore/jackstone product lines, but I don't really see these
pieces as being overly juniorized.  Instead, the Knights Kingdom action-fig
(anyone got a better term) pieces seem to be very complex.  There are lots of
ways to interconnect to standard system bricks and technic system parts using
multiple stud orientations.  I bet the Mecha builders are already drooling over
some of the new pieces here (sure, the main torso looks pretty useless but at
least it does have studs on it)

Snip!

You bring up a lot of good points, Douglas.  Although others have asked me
"Don't you have enough LEGO?" before, I never gave that question a serious
thought until now.  It's because a) there's a cool new set, or b) like you said,
I don't have the new pieces!

So I guess you're right - one of the ways for LEGO to continuously get consumers
to buy their product is to make new pieces.  But designing cool sets will also
do the trick!

Question is, which is more difficult?

-Bryan