 Castle / 18916
Re: Knights' Kingdom figures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
SNIP
Another thing, that strikes me as odd, is that Lego Direct always seems to refer
to the expense of creating new molds as the reason for not being able to produce
more monorail track, cypress trees and various older parts.  This seems to be in
conflict with fact that TLC is able to produce many new molds each year; some of
them being specialty molds for licensed themes such as all the Starwars,
Spiderman or Harry Potter.  Certainly, once the licenses run out, TLC won't be
able to re-use these some of molds for other themes (specifically thinking about
license specific parts like the chewbacca head)?

Cost of new mold divided by number of parts needed equals reality check. TLC
needed far more Chewies than they need cypress trees (or monorail track) despite
what the AFOL community might feel. My guess is that they made 100K-200k
Chewbacca's. I don't see the demand for 10k cypress trees (much less 100k). If
they offered cypress trees at $10, would you jump at them or scream
highway-robbery ?

Ray