 Castle / 15990
Re: Castle Map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:07:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
By the way, why didn't Anthony do a map?

Two reasons:

One - at the time I had no clue on how to create a good looking map.  Thanks to
some new programs and some tips from Kevin Hall, I could make one now.

Two - I don't think Ikros needs a map.  To me, some things are just better left
up to the imagination.  It creates such a conformity that you cannot change the
story without changing the map, too.  And if you change the map, you might have
to go back and change other parts of the story.  For those of you without
stories, a map may be fine and dandy, but I don't think Ikros needs one.  You
may think I'm taking the lazy way out, but honestly, how lazy could I be if I
completed a 40 chapter book online?

In my opinion, I don't like the idea of all the stories and all the worlds in
.castle to be on the same planet.  There are so many people who are into magic
and fantasy, and just as many who are into realism and history.  And then there
are those few who are following someone else's work.  I would think it very
VERY conceited of us to say that any of our worlds exist on the same planet as
Middle Earth.  And what of those people who have historical or 'realistic'
worlds where magic doesn't exist?  They just live on an island where magic is
nullified?  Poor travelers from these countries encounter wizards and evil
creatures when they go abroad?  Dragons suddenly stop and fall a thousand yards
off their coasts?

Ok, so maybe you have two different worlds, one for fantasy and one for non.
Well, what about chronology?  My two stories occour 30 years apart, are other
characters from other realms especially long lived if they some how come in
contact with characters from both my stories?  Most stories have an
history-defining time in them, is all the bad and terrible stuff happening at
the exact same time throughout the world?  When they're resolved, the whole
world is at peace?  Case in point:  My original story has the world threatened
by a huge demonic dragon, don't you think the rest of the world would have some
interest in taking her down as well?  Shouldn't she show up in the histories of
every continent she's come across?

You can put all your realms together, if that's what you want to do, and that's
fine with me.  Personally, I don't like the idea of such definition.  If you
want portals between worlds, hey, that's cool too.  I could even accept such a
scenario.

Yes, I had a character go to the Isle of Mist, but you'll notice that not only
did my main characters not interract with the Isle, but I made fun of it when I
reused the character (as well as renamed to 'The Misty Isle').  The IOM was a
neat idea, but I regret putting as much effort into it as I did (which wasn't
much).  The continent of Kahlan, as far as I'm concerned, has no access by
land, air or sea, to the IOM.

Just my two cents
--Anthony

BTW... this is an OLD topic, the 'Old Guard' could tell you so
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=1813
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=1837
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2059
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2173
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2349
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2360
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2379
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2382
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2396
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/?n=49
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/?n=676
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=7885

Not all of these posts are 100% relevant, but they do discuss the creation of
the Castle World Map to one degree or another.