 Castle / 15996
Re: Castle Map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 16:54:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:

Two reasons:

One - at the time I had no clue on how to
create a good looking map.  Thanks to
some new programs and some tips from Kevin
Hall, I could make one now.

I should get to work completing my map.
(it's a scaled version of the map from
my syndication folder.)

Two - I don't think Ikros needs a map.

<snip>

In my opinion, I don't like the idea of
all the stories and all the worlds in
.castle to be on the same planet.  There
are so many people who are into magic and
fantasy, and just as many who are into
realism and history.  And then there are
those few who are following someone else's
work.  I would think it very VERY conceited
of us to say that any of our worlds exist
on the same planet as Middle Earth.  And
what of those people who have historical or
'realistic' worlds where magic doesn't exist?
They just live on an island where magic is
nullified?  Poor travelers from these
countries encounter wizards and evil creatures
when they go abroad?  Dragons suddenly stop
and fall a thousand yards off their coasts?

Whoa...I can...see you took a few minutes to
write this out...

First off, I don't exactly think drawing a map
would force you to a confined world. When I
drew mine out, I had a good idea of where I
was going in the story, and if anything, it
helped my comes up with solutuions on how
to get around some situations which would have
been otherwise far too easy without a map.
(and without one, someone could have simply
thought LaGuardia wasn't an island, but rather
a city on a peninsula.)

Ah, I'm not going to say anything about Tolkein's
Middle earth, because Albatross (my region) isn't
based anywhere toward's Tolkein's world. (by the
way, I want absolutely NOTHING to do with tolkein.
There are no elves, no dwarves, no ultimate
destructive magick. No, it's simply- (I'm not
divulging any details that might give away the
storyline...not yet.) technology. Let's just
say little of it isn't based on mysticism.

Ok, so maybe you have two different worlds, one
for fantasy and one for non. Well, what about
chronology?  My two stories occour 30 years apart
are other characters from other realms especially
long lived if they some how come in contact with
characters from both my stories?  Most stories
have an history-defining time in them, is all the
bad and terrible stuff happening at the exact same
time throughout the world?  When they're resolved
the whole world is at peace?  Case in point:  My
original story has the world threatened by a huge
demonic dragon, don't you think the rest of the world
would have some interest in taking her down as well?
Shouldn't she show up in the histories of every
continent she's come across?

Cast in point: that's why I've decided not to mess
with any of it. To each castler his own, we could
simply say there is a second plane in reality where
by some odd sort of fate, each character taking
part in the story is spirited away from his/ her
world by some odd inexplicable technological
phenomena, where they clash. The worlds wouldn't
matter primaily because they they would no longer
be at those worlds, so no contradication in
chronology, history or any of that. Let's simply
say the CQ world was at the center of all castle
universes, with no painful or bothersome
references, which would otherwise doom the
whole project to pointless debate "what if"
questions. We don't need that, now do we?

(alleviation of technicalities is refrshing,
isn't it? :)

Just a few thoughts,

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthsuiast