 Castle / 13175
Re: Themes (was: Payback time)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 03:22:27 GMT

Erik Gustafson wrote:
Again, when the database was created, it was decided to categorize based on the
official subthemes.  It is a perfectly logical way of doing it.

Jeff

If you look deeper into it you actually find a LUGNET category named Black
Falcons including just one set, the 6018 Battle Dragon released in 1990. I
looked through the BrickShelf scan library from 1990 and this 6018 was the
only model with a BF(except a minifig pack and 6059 Knights Stronghold). I
think the listing is confusing, I don't think Lego releases 6018 as a
subtheme. So the listing in LUGNET must be wrong, lets remake it and split
crusaders, classic castle and BF apart.

You raise a very interesting point. Some things I see looking at 1989,
1990, and 1991 catalogs:

- Based on my 1991 US catalog, "Crusaders" should simply be "Castle"
- Based on the 1989 EU catalog on Brickshelf, 6066 should be "Legoland
Castle" (or "classic"), it doesn't appear in the 1990 castle which
introduced "Forestmen" as the sub-theme for the forest sets.
- Based on my 1991 US catalog, 6018 should be in the "Castle" or
"Crusaders" sub-theme
- Based on the 1989 EU catalog on Brickshelf, the 1990 CA catalog on
Brickshelf, and my 1991 NL catalog, 6085 was "Legoland Castle" in 1989,
"Castle" in 1990, and "Black Knights" in 1991.

Based on all of this, I think it might be worthwhile adjusting some
categorizations, perhaps indicating with {} the unofficial sub-theming
of Legoland Castle (and also adding comments about the sub-theming). The
other possibility is to properly sub-theme things, accepting things like
6085 as Black Knights since it was eventually listed under there. One
problem though is then some clear sub-themes like Forestmen get split
because some of their sets never got categorized as Forestmen.

Frank