 Castle / 11926
Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:36:58 GMT

Awesome Jon.  I really like the hill.  I'm NOT a fan of landscape that
relies heavily on slopes, but I *really* like that hill.  And the interior
details, and exterior details add a great touch to the MOC.

About the door; I believe Heather Patey did a round door design...

<checking>

Yep, here it is:

-Chris

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jon Furman writes:
Hi all,
I present my first modest attempt at translating a Tolkien location into brick.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole,
filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy
hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and
that means comfort." -- J.R.R. Tolkien "The Hobbit"

Bag end is the home of Bilbo Baggins, the Hobbit who becomes an unlikely
hero in the book "The Hobbit" the precursor to Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings"
Trilogy.  While not to scale, Bag End is much larger, It does feature a
round door (that was the hardest part).  I was going for the "feel" of
Hobbiton, not necessarily a dead on recreation, so I tried to approximate
the look and atmosphere.  The tree and the roof lift off to reveal a quite
modest (by Bilbo's standards) living area.  As always, let me know what you
think.  I hope that you enjoy it.
Jon