 Castle / 1160
Re: Carved Lion Head Block?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:50:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Timothy Carl Buchheim writes:
Doyle wrote:

It would have been better if it were Gray or dark gray, not tan. I wouldn't • be
able to find a use unless building in a desert area? The tan doesn't seem to
look right with the gray castles. Its a shame to make it tan for a gray • castle
theme!

I like the tan.  It's not unusual to use a different type of stone for
decorative elements of a building.  I've seen this done on a lot of
Greek temples, for example.  Such as the sandstone Ionic frieze found on
a Doric temple whose name and location escapes me at the moment, or the
limestone decoration on the Erechtheion in Athens, which is otherwise
made entirely from marble.

--
Tim Buchheim

The tan castle pieces seem to beg the question:  Why hasn't Lego produced an
all-tan Crusader Castle series?  I've always looked to the Krak de Chevaliers
and other crusader castles for inspiration, and tan castle elements would also
provide fodder and inspiration for the return of the very popular and
much-missed "Soldiers" in the form of Legionnaires.  Beau Gest, anyone?

Kevin