 Castle / 1161
Re: New Castle Sucks (so far...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:53:54 GMT

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, David Eaton (<FnGns0.IFH@lugnet.com>) wrote at
17:12:00

Its not the chunky pieces that make a cool set, its the overall design,
cleverness of that design, and bricks -- baby -- bricks!!!
This is a very AFOL oriented view. If you look at it as a toy for a
young person, it has to be playable when finished. And by and large, the
new Castle sets have lots of play opportunities.

Actually, I'd disagree... Lego's niche is not in playability-- it's in
creativity.

<snipped on the one hand, on the other hand discourse>

You're right, and later on as well. I was playing devil's advocate up to
a point, just to counter Richard's post. I think it's fair to say that
TLC is mostly doing quite well, for a big company, and different people
have wildly differing attitudes to the changes the company has to make.

Big pieces are bad, though. I think most people agree on that in one
degree or another.

The best things about the new castle sets are the following: the new king
minifigure (great face!),
Disagree. Bring back smileys, instead of these juniorised faces with
*pre formed* expressions.

Agree and disagree-- I like having the standard smileys... but I also like
having pre formed expressions... I find standard smileys helpful in vast
quantities, but for greater detail and hints of character, I find that pre
formed heads work really well... I just wish that smileys were still as widely
available as the detailed heads.

I *was* poking fun here. But I do lament the passing of the smiley.

the return of steep corner slopes, the black maiden hat,
Who cares what colour a hat is?

I do! I don't want my knights running around in trans-orange helmets! But
moreover, I think I'd prefer a brighter colored maiden hat (not that I'm
complaining about the return of the piece!)... black just seems so wrong...
Seems like a widow's color...

Yeah. I'm not a minifig person, really, so I'm not that bothered. A
purple one would have been nice, wouldn't it?

And it must be stated VERY firmly, that the new castle wall is REALLY poorly
designed.

<snip>

Agreed, it's an appalling piece.

Well... I'm both for it and against it... I don't think I'd ever really WANT a
4x4 tower... even a 6x6 tower is a little skimpy for what I'd REALLY want... I
think these might look nice as small outcroppings in an otherwise flat wall,
but as for towers... ick! Too small and not capable of being symmetrical!
Bleah!

Yes, my main objection to this piece is that it's too small. And I wish
you could fill the windows in. That goes for the wall pieces as well.

Someone said this to me recently: "I think it must be made clear that lego
has changed and is catering, just like before, to the child market. This does
them credit and is to be respected."  I said, "Yeah, but then what was their
mission before?  Why the change?"  Does LEGO think children are even dumber
now than in my own youth?  I hardly think this is a credible assumption...

No, they're not dumber, they just have different interests.

Did you play with the same toys that your parents did?

No. Because some of the things you played with hadn't been invented when
your parents were children.

TLC has to change its products to be able to sell them to its market -
children. I think I read somewhere that children are the most fashion
conscious group in society, so you've got to be on the ball when selling
to them.

Well... that's the beauty of Lego. There are some toys that fit just about
every generation. Some toys don't die. Barbie, stuffed animals, the slinky, the
yo-yo, toy guns, etc. There are certain toys that every generation plays with.
Fads like Pokemon, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, even Star Wars come and go. The
one thing that Lego has cornered the market on, though, is building blocks.
There have been building blocks for YEARS... but Lego made a product that has
been proving that it has potential as a multigenerational toy. My parents DID
play with Lego (alright, only one of them) (and granted I'm only 23), and I
hope my children will play with Lego.

Agreed. I'm 36. I played with it from a very early age, and if I had
children, they would too. But I think the pace of change has
accelerated, and LEGO won't be the same thing in another 20 years, if it
exists at all (other than as a legacy System. Geddit?).

When you say kids have different interests, though, you're quite right. Kids
seem to have a lower attention span, etc, thanks to TV, computers, etc.... but
the great thing is that there are STILL kids that HAVE decent attention spans,
that ARE bright and creative, and that DO want to have something like Lego to
play with. In that respect, I think Lego has the potential to be close to
timeless. And this makes the problem that the more that Lego caters to these
OTHER low attentioned-kids, the more they'll lose the market that the toy was
originally intended for.

I agree with your point, but from the accountant's point of view, the
bigger market will win :(

Some chunkier parts are okay, some even fairly clever or interesting.  But
replacing elements with chunkier alternatives at the expense of the original
elements is just not stepping in the right direction, in my view.  It has to
stop -- it simply must stop!
It won't stop.

TLC didn't start out making plastic bricks, and it probably won't end up
making them either.

Nope, it probably won't. Lego has chosen to follow a path that leads away from
a creative toy towards a path that could lead to more money for them. I don't
blame them. But I do hope that they return to the path they were once on. For
my own sake, I hope that they don't make more money with the newer
less-creative sets... perhaps that would encourage them back "our" way... and
perhaps not...

It looks like these are tricky times for TLC. I hope they *do* see a way
to make good sets profitably (like the Star Wars stuff), but my view is
that the writing's on the wall.

--
Tony Priestman